Nag or Ddim

Shmae Pawb
I am on level 2 challenge 22 and having difficulty with using Nag or Ddim. I am completely mixing them up!
When do I use each one? or are they interchangeable?
I am very confused!

ddim is the usual word for the negative, so if you have a sentence like “he doesn’t know” that will be dyw e ddim yn gwybod

but if you put something in front like in Level 2 Challenge 22, it becomes “I said that he doesn’t know”, and it changes to dwedes i nag yw e’n gwybod where the nag shows that it’s a negative following.

Those examples are from the southern version of the course. Is that the one you’re doing?

3 Likes

I tried using “nag” in a sentence in challenge 24, level 2 (South Welsh version) that in English was “you’d tell me if she didn’t want to answer wouldn’t you” and it turned out to be ddim! So still confused…

You only use ‘nag’ as the negative for a sentence with ‘that’ in it. If there is no ‘that’ (either stated or implied i.e. put a ‘that’ in and it still makes sense), then it’ll be ‘ddim’. There is no ‘that’ in “you’d tell me if she didn’t want to answer wouldn’t you” and putting one in wouldn’t make sense, so it has to be ‘ddim’, not ‘nag’.
Does that help?