Mwg meaning

Not strictly ssiw related but hoping someone can enlighten me. My daughter is in Reception class and one of her words is ‘mwg’ it has a picture of a mug on the back so I assumed it meant mug. However, I saw a phrase on Facebook today ‘does dim mwg neb dân’ which apparently means ‘no smoke without fire’. So can mwg mean both mug and smoke and if so is it pronounced the same?
Diolch

1 Like

Yes, mwg can be both mug and smoke, and are pronounced pretty much the same, although some people might make the w sound a little longer for ‘smoke’ (even though there’s no accent on the w), but yes, pronouncing them the same is fine - it’ll be the context which tells you which is which.

2 Likes

In Collins Spurrell Welsh Dictionary,’ Mwg’ is ‘Smoke’, and ‘Cwpan’ is ‘Mug’.

1 Like

Great. Thank you

1 Like

Cysgeir gives “mug” as “cwpan” or “mwg”. But if you want to specify a mug rather than a cup, then “mwg” would be the right word.

1 Like

Everyday colloquial Welsh speech borrows words from English a lot. From first language Welsh speakers at work I’ve heard “printio”, “misfeedio”, even “jack-in-the-boxio” on one occasion :joy:

One I hear a lot, working at a university, is “stiwdants”. Strictly speaking the correct word is myfyrwyr, and that’s what appears in formal documents and such, but in day to day speech people sometimes say “stiwdants”.

That’s what you’re seeing with “mwg”. It’s just the way colloquial Welsh goes. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah very interesting. That’s useful to know. Thank you

1 Like