More People Watching Welsh Language T.V

A smart tv may also read your stuff:

and listen to you:

I, however, am selling these fine leather jackets^W^W tinfoil hats.

2 Likes

Thanks Tatjana.

To be clear to everyone in case thereā€™s any misunderstanding, Iā€™m not on the SSi payroll, Iā€™ve just got some forum superpowers (mostly because I spend too much time here, I think). So I donā€™t have the authority of the SSi folks here, and disagreeing with me isnā€™t verboten.

My central point here is that (quibbles about the meaning of illicit vs illegal aside) the SSi stance is that itā€™s best to not discuss any sort of content protection circumvention techniques on the forum. Personally, I think this is very sensible - whatever the state of right and wrong here, avoiding potential hassle for Aran and co. so they can keep on producing content for us seems like a Jolly Good Thing.

4 Likes

I do intend to get broadband eventually, and when I do itā€™ll probably form part of s TV package as well (probably Sky or Virgin) so I will get these services again sometime in the future. Just at the moment, Iā€™m on a ā€œtraining rateā€ and only doing basic hours at my new job. This rate is expected only for at least 6 months, but hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to put in more hours at work too.
As for the smart TV option, I have Apple TV, which works with any HDMI enabled TV, but also needs a broadband connection through WiFi. When that is working, I can stream content from my iPad and iPhone to my TV, like S4C Clic, BBC iPlayer, TVCatchup (Live Freeview TV through the Internet, which includes live S4C broadcasts) amongst other things. Itā€™s just for the mean time really. Ah well, shouldnā€™t be too long before I can get these services againā€¦

1 Like

It certainly needs a network connection - but isnā€™t it able to run without full Internet access, if itā€™s on the same wifi network as your iPad? e.g. could you take your iPad elsewhere where an Internet connectionā€™s available, download some things to iPlayer on it, and then play those on the TV via Airplay once you were home?

I can do that, but still need to connect both the Apple TV and iPad to a wireless router. It should all work fine - minus the actual internet connection.
I can stream everything through the SIM in my iPad too, only it will use a lot of data, and I only get 1GB a month!

EDIT: Just tried to stream live TV from my iPad to the TV - doesnā€™t work! When the iPad is connected to the WiFi, it cuts the use of the SIM card network and uses the network provided from the WiFi instead - which of course isnā€™t connected! I can play recorded stuff from the iPad, but very little else. Itā€™s a complicated set up as well so scrap that idea!!!

1 Like

Note that although I share the frustration of lack of access to recent S4C programming (Iā€™m in the U.S.), there actually is a good amount of older content on You Tube.

Programs Iā€™ve watched there:

• Hwb Gwers
  • ā€œY Wers Gymraegā€ a multi-part show with short 4-5 minute episodes (that I believe were aired during Hwb
  • Zanzibar, the young adult soap opera set in Aberystwyth

When I first watched Zanzibar, I understood maybe 5-10%. Now after getting into SSiW, Iā€™ve started watching it again, and have found that I understand 10-20%! Not a lot, but I think thatā€™s pretty good for a program with lots of fast-talking 20-somethings. Thank you SSiW!

6 Likes

Thank you for this. Iā€™ll make a search on YouTube and subscribe to the channels .

To be honest I didnā€™t even think about YouTube for who knows what reason though. :slight_smile:

Da iawn! Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

Croeso! Prosim!

1 Like

This is hilarious! Similar sort of humour, I guess, to ā€œThe Officeā€, but with a special Welsh flavour. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the warning about smart TVs. I had a google around after my previous post, and small alarm bells began to sound, and you seem to be confirming them.

Our set is too old to have an HDMI port (I donā€™t suppose John Logie Baird foresaw the need for it when he designed itā€¦ :slight_smile: ).

Perhaps one can get around this with suitable cables and adapters though.

Ydy! Dw iā€™n hoffiā€™r Wers Gymraeg yn fawr iawn.

I tune into S4c Clic on my WiFi mac laptop most nights. Favourites have been/are Y Llys, Fermio, Y Gwyllt, Cefn Gwlad (good for Deep Welsh differing accents), the amazing Iolo, Dal Ati, and best of all, Guto Gwningen a brilliantly characterised and cleverly animated version of Peter Rabbit (not the B.Potter version) which has lots of easy short phrases and always makes me laugh.

I agree that Guto is fun, but I love the antics of Caglo and Pus in Y dywysoges fach!!!

If there is internet coverage of S4C which is restricted to the U.K. (similar to Iplayer or BBC Player use) then you should be able to access it from anywhere in the world by changing your ā€˜ā€˜locationā€™ā€™ to the U.K. using ā€˜ā€˜location changeā€™ā€™ (vpn change) software.

I am not a lawyer so I canā€™t evaluate all the legal niceties, but it works and most of the major institutions involved cooperate (which one supposes that one might interpret as ā€œthey are waiving any restrictionsā€) and in practice allow unrestricted access to their programming,

Justin

Thanks Justin - but we donā€™t allow advertising copyright or region-lock circumvention on the forum. Iā€™ve edited the post accordingly.

3 Likes

If content is geo-restricted itā€™s usually because copyright laws and restrictions apply to such country.Whatever is geo-restricted and you try to avoid is ilegal in a matter and thatā€™s why Iā€™d rather pay FULL SUBSCRIPTION to S4C and BBC if possible then going for such things. although even I find some sites where I can watch restricted program when I really need to (when live stream is now and never ever again (like with rugby match for example)).

However, I still think programes in Cymraeg should be a bit less applying to those things what means more free to watch in any country.

Generally, the lack of availability of Welsh programming outside of the UK is because itā€™s just not worth negotiating the rights. When you balance potential sales against the lawyers fees, itā€™s not worth it, sadly.

Yah, I know ā€¦ Money makes the world go round ā€¦ SADLY!

Hi Tatjana - I already pay full subscription to a number of country services. My challenge is that I move across borders a lot - so I am not getting fair value for my subsciptions and cannot get access to information, already paid for, when locked-out by geo-blockers.

One of the fundamental concepts of the EU is free movement of people. There is no free movement in practice without being able to retain access to information and knowlege as one moves across Europe. Just as retaining access to health services and pensin credits as you move across European borders is important so is retaining access to information.

And even if you do not move across borders much what does it mean to be European if major providers of services are geo-blocking.

So that is why the ''EU Digital Single Market"" strategy is an excellent concept that I hope is fully realized in practice .

I quote the post from bedw-arian post smile:

"On 6 May 2015, the European Union announced the adoption of its ā€œDigital Single Marketā€ strategy, which will amongst other changes, aim to end the use of ā€œunjustifiedā€ geo-blocking between EU countries, arguing that ā€œtoo many Europeans cannot use online services that are available in other EU countries, often without any justification;ā€

Justin

3 Likes

ā€œFrom your mouth (keyboard) to Godā€™s ears (eyes).ā€ Iā€™d say to that because I, living in Slovenia might be the first one to know how unjust EU can be from buying stuff and all the way to digital services. EU never treated all their members equally and thereā€™s no sign of it ever will.

I feel and somehow know regulation youā€™ve mentioned above will (again) come into place only for some countries so I give no hope to this here. Sometimes Iā€™m surprised we can use mobiles across the border since the tendency of locking as many services and as much content as possible and control them with that is bigger and bigger.

But, thatā€™s another story for (maybe) one another forum ā€¦ so Iā€™ll end ā€œpolitical debateā€ here.