Meeting up in Betws y Coed during Eisteddfod '19

This OS clip shows no sign of a footpath near thhe river

Google suggests this as the 52 min / 2.6 mile walk (assuming I’ve place the Maes correctly)

the entrance is a little further north than than but that is probably the bottom edge of the maes. There is going to be absolutely no crossing the A470 on foot other than via the footbridge. Its was reinforced very heavily yesterday!

There is a footbridge over the river to the east bank by the railway station avoiding the walk South then North. It is visible on Huw’s map.

The footbridge that Peter points out near the station would cut off about 1 km / 0.6 miles from the 2.6 mile journey.

I’m a bit confused by @amandalaing’s reference to a footbridge across the A470. Is this being constructed especially for the Eisteddfod? If so, where exactly will it be?

It would be very welcome (indeed essential) because the car park for us hwntws will be on the opposite side of the A470 to the Maes

EDIT: To answer my own question, I’ve found reference to Amanda’s footbridge just opposite the Maes here and am very glad of it :smile:

Yes it’s been built especially for the Eisteddfod and put up overnight.

1 Like

@amandalaing and @margaretnock not sure where Waterloo is @HuwJones Husband, Stephen,
and I are staying at Llety Betws from.3 to 10. Not going to Maes every day as want to do some walking.but would love to meet up. Will there be busses from Betws to the Maes do you think?

Waterloo Bridge crosses the river Conwy where the A5 meets the A470
Llew Jones’s bus timetable (19 and X19 from Betws to the Maes is here

I cannot ser my message thanking you for this @HuwJones so in case i didnt send idoing it again . Looking forward and dreading.the eistedfodd.

I understand the dread but don’t, you’ll be fine!! If you make mistakes it’s absolutely ok, just pretend to yourself that you enjoy making them then pretending will become reality :blush:

1 Like

thanks @AnthonyCusack! The system for booking etc sounds complex .

1 Like

You’re entirely welcome. (No private message reached me BTW)
I echo Anthony’s reassurance about the Eisteddfod. “There is nothing to dread except dread itself. :smile:
Remember the event specifically encourages learners like you and me. :smile:

1 Like

It looks like there could be around nine people interested in a meet up in Betws who have posted here and potentially four others (pinpointing @Isata and her criw (now worrying that Isata will make some comment on the word ‘pinpointing’ (btw that isn’t a challenge! (great, now that looks like a challenge :slightly_smiling_face:))) .

I am arriving on Saturday afternoon and haven’t a clue what I am going to do over the week. So, for those interested what about a coffee somewhere in Betws around 10.00am on Sunday? Happy for any suggestions as to where or for different dates or times (though now I am thinking that Saturday evening might be a good alternative as I might be itching to go and see the Maes and we could walk there, chat on the way and have a pint/coffee when we arrive (assuming we don’t get lost).

You sound nervous, Peter. Don’t worry, this is the SSiW forum. I’m a different (much nicer) person here! :slightly_smiling_face:

I won’t be able to make a meet up on the Saturday night, because we’re off to a show in the Pafiliwn. Hey, criw (@BronwenLewis, @helenlindsay) - are you up for a Sunday morning coffee with the Betws massive? (Apologies, I’ve never been thought of as having a criw before - it might have gone to my head. I’ll be bumping fists and everything now. Word, as I’ve heard some of the young people say.)

3 Likes

Do you seriously imagine your fist-bumping criw will be out of bed by 10 - on a SUNDAY?? Yes please - sounds great!

3 Likes

Us too!!

I’ll check with the boss about 10am Sunday. She has the diary of doom…I mean plan for the week.

me three. Can’t do Sunday morning as I will be in the Swumae Sumae tent.

What is the best way to communicate during the Eisteddfod (other than in Welsh of couse) Do we need a Betws app group?

I’ve never seen this side of @Isata :astonished:

That’s because it’s reserved exclusively for people who deserve it, Anthony. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m expecting to be roused at 6 o’clock each morning by a full rendition of the national anthem!

Enjoy the show @AnthonyCusack and @amandalaing. I’ll look out for you!

1 Like