Maps: memory vs reality - Wales

Yesterday I was endlessly waiting for a support number to get my call and I decided to draw a map of Great Britain on a piece of paper.

It’s funny how maps stored in my memory are often quite different from reality - even those of areas I’m very familiar with like Europe. They tend to remind a bit of real ancient ones, where proportions are usually odd.

I’ve known where Wales was since I was about 8, but I really never paid too much attention to its surface compared to England and Scotland. At least not since my last geography test in high school, I guess! :smiley:

So, in my map Wales turned out to be about half the size of Scotland and it looks like it would include Birmingham as well. :grin:

It was quite shocking to realize it’s actually even smaller than the region I live in (Piedmont) and its entire population almost the same as just the city of Rome. :open_mouth:

Just wanted to confess my ignorance, and share a laugh about my map of Great Britain!

5 Likes

It’s actually a lot bigger than it looks on the map…:wink:

3 Likes

Just give us time… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, I’m from Birmingham, and Birmingham takes its water supply from Wales (which is one reason I give for always having been interested in Wales), so I can tell you that you’re not totally wrong there…:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never been to Wales, but I’ve been told Wales is ALWAYS bigger on the inside than on the outside. That’s a good philosophical statement to ponder on a Friday :smiley:

7 Likes

Felly (been listening to Advanced content, you know)…
long before all these, only Wales! :wink:

3 Likes

I prefer this map of Wales myself

3 Likes

Only way I know how to reply to that is “Yma o hyd!”

1 Like

yup, as proved by anyone who thought they could drive from one end to the other in less than 3.5 hours :wink:

2 Likes

And Doctor Who (Tardis, etc) is made in Wales, these days…

2 Likes

This one is slightly open to interpretation, but I quite like the idea of it.

9 Likes

I see what you mean by interpretation, it should have included Aberdeen, the Isle of white and Dover.

1 Like

DW filmed in Caerdydd…yup, that is 1 of 2 things I knew about Wales prior to studying the language. The other was I could physically find Wales on a map, but I had no idea how MUCH BIGGER it is on the inside and I haven’t been there yet. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, @JohnYoung looking at the names on the map…

Mancunium, Castra Legionis, Glevum, Aquae Sulis, Corinium, Londinium…and I remember reading before about Segontium and Moridunum (at least).

I think I perceive a slight hint of Roman influence in those names. :sunglasses:

From the colony of Augusta Taurinorum, I say it’s time to team up again for a linguistic reconquest of the territories! :wink:

1 Like

These early maps are all open to interpretation. Archaeologists and historians dispute this stuff endlessly nowadays. @JohnYoung’s map is very generous to the Welsh; here’s another, put together by geneticists, which is very generous to the Anglo-Saxons:

2 Likes

Yes, I’m guessing that Aberdeen is Pictish. I’m sure that you are correct with Wight and Dover. Possibly before or after the Roman Era. I think that all of present day Britain would have been Celtic at one time.

I think that the map is indicative

1 Like

Well whatever pictish was and wherever it was the name Aberdeen is obviously British / Welsh - Aber and Dun for a fort. If Pictish had the same words for the place then they obviously talked the same language.

I do still wonder about Basque though - was it spoken on these isles once upon a time? .

1 Like

Good to see my place of birth, Glevum, or Caerloyw (or Gloucester, to be more boring), featuring strongly there.

It took me quite a while before I noticed the WELSH in large letters! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why would you want Birmingham? :smiley:

1 Like

We can only improve it… :wink:

2 Likes