Looking for some Skype friends

Hi All,

I don’t know if this is the ‘done’ thing - so mods, please accept my advance apologies.

I’ve finally sorted my Skype account out, after having a bit of back and forth with Microsoft. When I say I’ve sorted my Skype account out, I’m actually lying. I just created a new one because it seemed quicker!!

Anyway, I’m looking for people to become friends with me on Skype in order to further practice Welsh. Looking for people who’d be up for just having a catch up every so often whenever we’re around and online etc.

My Welsh level is kind of intermediate (my Youtube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvvS3RfzSQwiVf7Ocejf6yg if you want to gauge my level), it’s hard to say. I’m a mid thirties male working in IT, into music, records, football, sarcasm, motorway services - you know, all the usual stuff!! I live in Aberystwyth in Mid-Wales, so I’m on GMT time, although I do work from home - so I may be able to chat with people from the other side of the world at more convenient times.

Anyway. Feel free to add me on Skype using the email [EDIT 24/10/19: check with Nicky for the correct email address], make sure you do use that address because there are about 2/3 Nicky’s on there - all of whom are previous incarnations of me where I’ve mislaid the password and Microsoft have refused to help a man out :slight_smile:

Looking forward to siarad-ing* soon! (Speaking)

10 Likes

Very much so! We love seeing people set up Skype sessions - the more the merrier. It’s something we’d love to support more proactively, with scheduling tools and stuff, we just don’t have the spare coding time yet… so it’s always fantastic to see people jumping in like this… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soon (from the first full week of July) I am free on a Wednesday. Maybe once every 2 weeks or so?

2 Likes

I would absolutely love practicing my Cymraeg with you – or with anyone else willing to, really – although I am not sure how “useful” talking to me would be, as I am not nearly as advanced as you are. You may say …

… but that’s coming from the man who has appeared on both Welsh radio and TV, giving interviews and stuff! I think it’s really brilliant how far you have come, and how quickly! So if you’d like to take on someone who is still very insecure about his level of Welsh (mostly for absolute lack of speaking to anyone except his cat) … byddai fe’n wych siarad gyda ti!

1 Like

Hi Hendrik!

Certainly! Get online!

I’m in London with work for the next couple of days, but I’ll be back home and with a proper internet connection soon!

1 Like

Hey Nicky I’d also be interested in chatting with you. I’m on summer break from school now so looking to get some extra practice in before I head to Wales later next month. Let me know what times work for you!!

2 Likes

I’m on the road away from my PC bur definitely add me!

1 Like

I’d love to chat with you, too. I’ve almost completed cwrs 2 and I’m halfway through lefel 2, hope that’s ok. Be warned though, I have never spoken Welsh with anybody before :wink: Here in Germany, literally no one speaks Welsh…

2 Likes

Well, “no one“ may be a bit of an exaggeration, but Welsh speakers/learners are certainly few and far between here in Germany, yes. (I cannot in good conscience call myself a welsh speaker yet, but at least I am a learner :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Yeah, let’s just say I’ve never met one :wink:

1 Like

Add me to your Skype Susa! My Skype address is in my first post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in! I haven’t had a sgwrs in AGES. I’ll add you tomorrow when I’m on my laptop if that’s alright? I work evenings so am mostly home in the daytimes!

2 Likes

Sounds grand! I look forward to this

1 Like

hi nicky, have just done a search and found you, hope it’s ok to add, would love a chat in welsh, every couple of weeks or so? i’ve done all the SSIW lessons (old courses), do the sgwrs a phient in talysarn when i’m home, and am doing a distance course with bangor university - i’d say i’m intermediate, and would really benefit from the opportunity for more siarading! i’m in north wales, and into music, motorbikes and the sea, so there’s some conversational starting points!

2 Likes

Hi[quote=“chrome_angel, post:14, topic:8524, full:true”]

hi nicky, have just done a search and found you, hope it’s ok to add, would love a chat in welsh, every couple of weeks or so? i’ve done all the SSIW lessons (old courses), do the sgwrs a phient in talysarn when i’m home, and am doing a distance course with bangor university - i’d say i’m intermediate, and would really benefit from the opportunity for more siarading! i’m in north wales, and into music, motorbikes and the sea, so there’s some conversational starting points!
[/quote]

Yes, add me - definitely!

I would like to do this, though I’m a bit scared having never tried speaking Welsh with anyone before!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry, really. I had the chance to skype with Nicky the other day (also my first time speaking welsh). We had a great chat and it was completely comfortable. Really whet (spelling?) my appetite. So (not to steal Nicky’s thunder) anyone else who fancies a chat with an almost complete beginner I’m bobby.harris@gmail.com on skype.

4 Likes

He’s too kind! (When you’re next free give me a shout too!)

3 Likes

Y’all are very kind :slight_smile: Will fire up the skype and add you … but I should warn you that I am convinced that I am 100% unable to utter or understand a word of Welsh (despite completing the course and some hardcore BBC Cymru listening while in Wales) so prepare to laugh …

1 Like

I sense another southerner!
It sounds like you’ve accomplished alot! Don’t worry!

1 Like