Looking for some Skype friends

If you mean southern Welsh, then yes!

2 Likes

Y’all say y’all? :slight_smile: I thought only we (southern americans) said y’all.

We don’t all say it, I’m afraid …

Look at things another way -

We speak Welsh but not fluently. No matter how fluent a person is, he/she is still capable of learning something new. Therefore we are all learners.

1 Like

Interested in skyping…have Skyped in Welsh a couple of times before but not for a while now, so could be rusty…I’m not too far from Aber, been meaning to attend the meet up there on Wed I believe but not had a chance…I can hold my convos in Cymraeg fairly well but would like to get speaking a lot more to be honest…I’m free during days in the week, not really weekends, you free to chat at some point in the next week or so? Cheers, Phil (my Skype name is Phil Sewell)

1 Like

Hi Phil.

I work from home, so I can mostly work around that - so it sounds good :slight_smile:
I’ve searched for Phil Sewell, but there are a few of you!! I’ve added the one that might be you. I’m hoping you’ve got it? If not… can you add me? (out of date email address removed) ?

Clwb Clonc - Wednesdays in Aber! Pop along, I’m there every week.

1 Like

I’m new here and just asked this question then saw this post.

I’m in the U.S and dont quite know how to do skype and never have. But Id like to give it a try with anyone interested. Warning, I am brand new, have completed the old material essons 1 and 2 and challenge ! first level so dont expect too much yet. But I’m trying to cover 2 to 3 lessons per week

2 Likes

Hi George.

If you can work out Skype enough to add me and @Bobi I’m sure we will be able to have a chat!

3 Likes

I would be very interested in a skype chat with anyone who would like to practice their welsh especially over summer as I’ve no welsh classes. I’ve done the SSIW courses and just finished Cwrs Sylfaen with my local college so I would think my level is intermediate.

4 Likes

Get us added :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m at about the same stage but VERY shy of speaking so would be delighted if I could talk with you on Skype.

Raymond

2 Likes

Of course :slight_smile: My email address for my skype account is hengoed@talktalk.net.

Hi all!

I just had a skype chat with a Welsh friend. I only met her in March and thought it would be fun to be able to say a few Welsh sentences during a skype call, but soon I was hooked and now just want to keep learning - thanks in no small part to SSiW, which makes it so much fun, and this forum which is such a supportive place!
So I thought that, having just done challenge 10, I would at least be able to chat in Welsh with my friend a bit. My goodness… all my Welsh flew out the window… The only thing I could utter was “Dw i 'di bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am biti mis nawr” so at least that sentence has stuck. :smiley: I felt like a 10 year old being called to the front of the class to recite a poem… all giddy and nervous and “don’t look at me while I destroy your beautiful language”… But she loved it and was very encouraging.

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for her, she is a bit of a globetrotter who is offline as soon as she’s traveling, and I’m lucky if we have a chat every 6 to 8 weeks. I would love to improve a bit quicker than that so I think I need a practice buddy as well. So if any of you still have time, I’d like to join in.

Also, how does it work, do you guys prefer to set up a specific time, or can I just go online and see who’s available for a chat?

Diolch ymlaen llaw for allowing me to add you to my contact list!

4 Likes

That happens to 99.9% of people on their first live conversation…:slight_smile:

So you’re doing exactly the right thing to keep pushing forward and looking for extra partners… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Nienke,

Everyone does it a bit different, but with everyone I’ve met so far on here I’ve tried to actually schedule/and book in a first chat - so we both know when each is likely to be online in the future.

Following that then, I’ve kind of tried to grab people when they’re online on Skype.

I’ve built up a pretty good community of fellow SSIW’ers so far, so please feel free to add me and we’ll chat away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Im not the most technologically able person. But I’ll see if we can get this going

1 Like

Hi all, just joined the forum although have been learning using SSIW for around 4 months now. I’m just finishing challenge 15 and would love to chat to someone on Skype to start using the Welsh and importantly, hear others speak! I’m based in Bulgaria so the odd BG word sneaks in now and again I’m afraid! Thanks v. much, Sophie

3 Likes

Hello! I’ll PM you my Skype account :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, thought there had to be a thread for this! At challenge 20 north Welsh version. In England so need to find Simone to Skype. (But also suffer from shyness that borders on full blown social anxiety). How do I go about it?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Sophie, and well done for jumping in at the deep end with Skype chats… :star: :star2:

Reaching out in here is a good first start - do you know how to add people on Skype? I’d also recommend that you take a little time to try to get to know people on the forum before committing to a chat - and then that you start with mini-chats - even just 5 minutes - so that you get to dip your toes in the water without the extra stress of feeling that it’s going to last for longer than you feel comfortable… :slight_smile:

1 Like