Llecyn Barddonol - "Poet's Corner"

(That link seems to have stopped working. I’ll go with Wikipedia unless anyone comes up with anything different).

Ar ôl diwrnod ar y traeth
Ceisiais i glanhau fy nhraed
Ond doedd gan dŵr dim effaith

(nhraed is a cheaty rhyme I suppose… :slight_smile: ).

Well, I found the link which is working (and was originally posted by @Deborah-SSi here). http://www.poetrymagnumopus.com/index.php?/topic/986-2-englyn-milwr-or-the-soldiers-englyn/

This should work now.

My atempt with second given (first) line:

Dwi’n dysgu yn y dosbarth
Does ddim yn iawn barth
Byddwn i well i fod yn yr ardd.

Lack of vocabulary plays tricks on me here and grammar is second to none, but that’s what I’ve finally managed to produce.

EDIT:
I’ve managed to figure out what’s wrong with your link, Margaret. Just take the last digit (at the end of the link) away. Digit 6 you see at the end of the link and if you put it off you’ll get working link.

3 Likes

Chwyrnu fel mochyn yr ardd
Ges i fy nhaflu i’fuarth

(probably too many syllables in line 3… :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Ro’n i eisiau yfed llaeth
Ond beth rhoddaf i i’r gath?

Southern pronunciation of ‘traeth’ a ‘llaeth’ wrth gwrs :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for that Tatjana. I don’t know where that ‘6’ came from!

EDIT: Ah yes I do - I think Dafydd copied and pasted my original links, but because 6 people had viewed it at that stage he got the ‘6’ as well. I have to watch that when I’m copying links for the weekly email, so it just rang a bell.

1 Like

Yes this is it. :slight_smile:

And well done all with your entries.

1 Like

Mike, you’re spot on the money, boy!
(He says in his best Aran impersonation voice).:wink:

2 Likes

That’s what you call poetic licence an it’s beautiful, and comes from the depth of understanding you’ve built. More please! @tatjana:- a real master of words has come amongst us! (I have a good example to look up to as well :heart:️)

You will not believe how long it took me to realise why the englyn rhymes didn’t! Then I remembered how Iestyn and a lot of de Cymru pronounce ‘ae’ - but I truly was bemused for ages, scratching my head…!!
Ro’n i eisiau yfed llaeth
Dim un botel, chwech neu saith!

2 Likes

Yes. @Deborah-SSi :slight_smile:

These things are not always obvious because we start from a position of “knowing” the rules and it leaves us in a quandary and a paradox when the rules break down for where we are in our understanding :slight_smile:. Being the lovely person that she is, Dee left us a clue…
Shall I propose a new starting line, or shall we have another round using the same one? Or would someone else like to suggest something?

That’s fun! Chwyrnu is beautifully onomatopaeic, isn’t it?
You could lose the first “i” quite easily, very common to drop it. And it would be ok to add 'r to the second instance of “i”, to aid understanding, leaving out the second “i” and changing it for “to the”. If you do both you’d lose two syllables, so I’d go with:-

Chwyrnu fel mochyn yr ardd
Ges fy nhaflu i’r fuarth!

Onward!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Sums! (I knew I could do doggerel - certainly not poetry!) in English, but it’s interesting having a bash in Cymraeg. Don’t think I could add the additionally required Cynghanedd Groes though…

A random one (not sure about the Welsh syllable rules to be honest, so the first line especially might not adhere to them):

Naeth 'nghariad ymadael
Ro’n i’n heb gobaith i gael
Ond heddi cwrddes i Gail

(another cheaty rhyme I’m afraid :slight_smile: ).

Naeth ‘nghariad ymadael
Oedd e wedi gadael
Dim gobaith yn adael.

A bit of call and response going on here, well done y ddau ohonoch!

Diolch. :slight_smile:

Diobaith

Dw i’n dysgu yn y dosbarth
Dw i’n gwybod dim byd- dw i’n warth!
Neidio oddi ar y garth?

(Sa i’n hoffi 3-syllable prepositions!!!)

Disclaimer: Not meant to describe me or anyone else. Rhyming is hard! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooo, ja. very hard. :slight_smile:

The only thing I can suggest to make things easier is to follow this link:-
http://www.geiriadur.net/index.php?page=ateb&term=Arth&direction=we&type=all&whichpart=end
to see a helpful way to help!!
It’s an online dictionary that could be your second greatest friend. The first being the courses on SSiW, of course.
Take a look at the drop-down menus. I selected “ending of a word” and put “arth” as we were all struggling, apart from me as I recently came across arth meaning bear, so I just used that! That gave me the rest of the Englyn, as it presented a ridiculous situation. A bear in a classroom? Why not. Even the two of us couldn’t see through the mist…

2 Likes