Lingo Newydd

Yes, @henddraig, I have it on my iPad. You can “pinch to zoom” to make the page easier to read, too.

I agree, this is a great feature! And it’s a real person reading, not an electronic voice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use it on my iPad, too :slight_smile:

I am a terrible coward and unwilling to do anything on line unless I totally understand it. The web site is in Cymraeg and the translate facility isn’t clear enough for me to work out what I need to click to pay for the Lingo Newydd ap! My eyes are not happy with faint blue type, especially my right eye. Can you give me any hints? I already clicked my ipad to get the Golwg ap, but no sign on Lingo Newydd and I’m sure I need to apply on the web site to pay! I may just give up, especially if they only take Paypal which I hate as I cannot get it to give me a password that works!

I don’t remember what I had to do either I’m afraid, though I remember it was rather confusing because of being all in Welsh!

If I remember correctly this is the procedure with an iPad: download and open the ap golwg app (choosing the iOSversion from Golwg website), tap the icon and you will be given a screen with 2 pictures, one of Golwg and one of Lingo Newydd, tap the one of Lingo Newydd and you get a screen showing all the copies available to buy and the price (NZ$2.99 here) and the ones you have already purchased, tap th one you want to buy and you get a screen showing that edition a ‘prynu’ button (botwm prynu?), tap that and it tells you you buy at the iTunes Store, enter your Apple ID and password, and they then just charge your credit card/bank account in the normal way. If you haven’t bought anything from the iTunes Store before I suppose you have to sign up for that.
Hope that ,rather long, explanation helps @henddraig

2 Likes

Well the issues I ordered came really quickly and I’m really enjoying having a go at reading them now that I’ve worked out the colour coded bits.
Thanks all for introducing me to this.

1 Like

I will have to find out about apple ID. Janet set up the ipad (it was hers first), but once that is sorted, your explanation is brilliant!! Diolch yn fawr!!

1 Like

@henddraig Pretty sure I used the same procedure thaf @bedw_arian described. I know its using my Apple ID and charging me that way when I buy an issue.

Pob lwc!

Is there a version for a PC/laptop, do you know?

Thanks.

According to the Golwg360 website there is an iOS app and an android app but no others mentioned. You are much more computer literate than me Mike but can you get apps for computers, desk top or laptop, or is it only for tablets and phones? I don’t know I’m afraid.

1 Like

Well, they might have had a way of letting you read it in a browser (e.g. Chrome) window, or if it could be downloaded as a PDF, then any standard PDF reader would do.

I should really have a look at the website myself, but I was just being lazy. :slight_smile:

Yes, that would be very useful :slight_smile: I’m guessing they didn’t go that way because PDFs, being regular computer files, are easy to copy, decreasing the need to pay money for an issue.

(There are ways to try to make it more difficult to copy a PDF or at least watermark PDFs to show who originally paid for them, but they mostly involve some kind of hassle for someone.)

1 Like

OK, I’ve been subscribing to Lingo Newydd for a year now & am keen to get the digital version. Can anyone explain how I go about this? I’ve tried to do it via the Golwg360 app but hit a wall when it comes to entering a unique subscriber number - there isn’t one on the package my editions get delivered in, as the app says there should be. I have sent messages to Golwg360 asking for assistance but haven’t received any helpful response to date. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Are you still trying to figure this out?

If so are you paying for just the post subscription? You can pay for the digital one on it’s own or the postal one. But you can also get both. Maybe that’s why you haven’t been given a code?

I’m thinking of getting a subscription, the digital one reads out the articles to help with pronunciation? Is it worth getting the digital one and the postal copy? Does anyone have the digital one through apGolwg?

Thanks Jen but I managed to work it out in the end. I get the postal version but have found that it’s possible to download any digital copies if I think it would be helpful to hear them being spoken. I’m combining the 2 options but mainly still sticking to the postal version.

1 Like

I was interested in your comment about downloading digital copies of Lingo Newydd to hear them being spoken. I have just subscribed to the magazine and currently have the posted Ebrill-Mai copy. Please advise how to access the digital spoken copy on my laptop, because I really need to get more of sense of how the Welsh is pronounced. Is this facility provided at extra cost?
Janice Lingley

Shwmae Janice. From what I’ve seen, I don’t think the app for the digital copies are available for laptops, only mobile phones (I haven’t looked very hard into this so it might be worth you checking). What I did to get the digital copies on my phone was, first of all, download the apGolwg app; next, click on the picture of Lingo Newydd then simply look for & click on the edition you wish to buy & follow the instructions. Most editions cost £2.99 at the moment but a few are £1.99. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. The technical hitch is that I do not have an internet phone, so it appears that the aural version of Lingo Newydd is a no-go area for me, which is disappointing, because am currently seeking a method of extending my knowledge of the vocabulary which is comparable with the SSiW method, which is so very effective.
Janice

I couldn’t make head nor tail of this app. No help for English speakers who are trying to learn. Can’t see why advertised as something you can listen to as I can’t see any feature to to do that. Since registration for mags I have received 3 paper copies of April to May issues! That issue is not on app though. Not the best investment in trying to learn Welsh I’m afraid