Learners in PortTalbot

Is there anyone from Port Talbot learning on here please

2 Likes

@JohnYoung might know - heā€™s not too far away in Skewen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for reply Skewen is not that far away. Joined today and looking forward to learning

1 Like

Well a huge welcome to the forum in that case :smiley:

Anything you need to ask, this is the place!

1 Like

@Oddsandgirl Iā€™m in the US so nowhere nearby, but I just wanted to say Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Just joined today & from PT :blush:

4 Likes

Wow it sounds like things are warming up nicely in Port Talbot!

Welcome SiĆ¢n, welcome @Oddsandgirl!

Youā€™ve both found the forum which is a great place for answers.

Pob lwc!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Sian! Great to have you here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Croeso, OddsandGirl, iā€™r ffrwm (Welcome to the forum)! Nicky Roberts who was Welsh Learner of the year in 2018, is a member here, and has his own website for learning Welsh, has a webpage listing virtual and physical hangouts to learn Welsh. Unfortunately, none are listed for Port Talbot. However, there are several online/virutal meet ups. Perhaps one of them will work for you while you find a group to speak with in Port Talbot?

EDITED TO ADD - Iā€™m unable to copy and paste the webpage. Easiest way to find the information is to search for ā€˜meetupsā€™ in the search bar and click the link to take you to the page.

2 Likes

Hi both and a grest welcome. Yes Iā€™m living in Skewen, not far from you. Great to have you here.

Theres a great centre in Swansea, TyTawe in which you can have a cheap cuppa and a chat on Saturday mornings, or go to evening social events. Learners of all levels right from one sentence and some 1st language speakers, who love speaking to learners.

Also a new Welsh bilingual cafe in Clydach, and a handful of venues in Pontardawe and an SSiW meeting in Bridgend.

Also, there is a fellow learner in Neath. In the mean time, it will be great to keep in touch as we learn together.

4 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum @sian-11 and @Oddsandgirl :slight_smile: :star2:

Iā€™ll mention this in the newsletter today. Iā€™m sure there are a few SSiWers in Port Talbot now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Glais , so not that far either. Iā€™ve been to Melys the bilingual cafe in Clydach several times and they are very supportive and do lovely food too. I keep meaning to go to Ty Tawe, but havenā€™t made it yetā€¦

2 Likes

Hiya Iā€™m in Kenfig Hill Just started this week.

4 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m Helen and Iā€™m on level 1 Challenge 7/8 at present and I live in Margam. Really pleased to know there are other learners local to me, I really need to practice speaking and listening to actual human beings lol. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi, I,m up in Tonmawr equidistant from Port Talbot and Neath. I m lucky that the children go to Welsh schools so I can practice with them although one is a teenage boy so its mostly one way, I m not sure if he can understand or heā€™s just ignorant. Iā€™m using the course recorded on my phone and then bluetoothed over the radio while I drive which uses ā€œdeadā€ time really well. If you re looking for someone to talk to I also tend to end english sentences with ā€œdiolchā€ which triggers some welsh speakers into action. I live in a village where welsh was spoken by my mothers generation, most had moved here from nearby Pontrhydyfen, but was then lost. We are now lucky to have a resurgence in that there are probably 10 to 20 children going to Ysgol Gymraeg castell Nedd/ Ystalyfera so although we ve skipped a generation we are now fighting back. I ve spoken to quite a few people within the village and have talked about setting up a welsh converstional meet locally perhaps combining those wanting to learn with the established speakers so if it comes about I ll post on here. Again, Cwmafan has got a large number of Welsh speakers and also there are sometimes trad music evenings held in the Brit and Rolling Mill, again, I ll post if I hear of anything. I know that there are also music evenings in Ty Abertawe, perhaps we can organise a trip. Thanks

6 Likes

Hello Sian, glad to have someone else from PT on here, will be good if we can chat and help each other
:grinning:

3 Likes

We could arrange a group chat on a hangout as a start?
Not sure how to add people as friends on here, still finding my way around.
Iā€™m on week one.

2 Likes

Hi Carin (?). You donā€™t have to add friends as such. All forum members can join in any discussion. Itā€™s all very friendly and respectful and overlooked by moderators.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Iā€™ll have a look into maybe setting up a hangout for us all to have a chat if thatā€™s ok.
Thinking 7pm one evening? If I manage to set one up Iā€™ll pop up a link and wait to see if anyone else fancies joining me. Gulp, or will I be Billy no mates lol

For a place to meet up and have a face to face chat, thereā€™s The Twenvle Nights, or The Margam Dear that I know of, any other suggestions for a place and a time? Iā€™m free most days :slight_smile: