Learners in PortTalbot

I’ve had a go at setting up a hangout. First time for me to do that so not sure if it’ll work.
EDIT: (Originally set for Fri 8th at 7pm which clashed) It seems to be open all the time (I’m new to these hangout thingies) so happy to meet up in there for a chat if I’m free just let me know. I’m at the start of my journey so my Cymraeg is very limited atm.
Here’s the link,

https://hangouts.google.com/call/JvMAMSXLKlE5ETmv7CTeAEEI

If no-one fancies it that’s ok too :slight_smile:
Caz

2 Likes

Hi Caz, sounds great, but there is already a Hangout on Fridays, with Siaron. You wouldn’t fancy trying a Wednesday or Thursday by any chance?

@siaronjames hangout is tonight if you want to take a look. Its a bit different to yours as it has a theme of talking about an object, but still work a look perhaps just to see how the hangouts work.

Not to worry if it has to be Fridays.

Sounds bendigedig. Sorry didn’t realize that one was up and running, only been on the site a few days so still finding my way around. Missed yesterdays but will def try to join in next week. Where’s the link to join please?
I think the hangout I started is open all the time, I’m happy to pop in there anytime if I’m free John. Just let me know :slight_smile:

Don’t worry Carin - the hangout John mentioned is one I run on the Welsh Speaking Practice group on Slack (that’s where the link is posted). It’s fine to have more than one hangout on at a time, but it’s generally easier to spread them out so that people can get to all the ones they want :wink:

If you want to join that group, just email admin@saysomethingin.com and put WSP in the title. There’s no cost and you can do hangouts or have 1-to-1 chats with learners and speakers all over the world :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi All. Sorry, it looks like I had misunderstood. So, Siaron’s hangout is via Slack WSP, and Carin’s is Hangout direct (?)

Which ever, sounds great to me.

1 Like

Happy to pop into my hangout link anytime anyone is free. Just message me (on here?)

https://hangouts.google.com/call/JvMAMSXLKlE5ETmv7CTeAEEI

Could make a “date” for Wednesday at 7pm say?
I’ll pop in see if anyone is about on Wed 6th :slight_smile:

Also happy to meet up Port Talbot way or Kenfig Hill for a face to face bumbling chat lol

1 Like

I’m just starting to prepare this week’s newsletter. If you decide on a day/time to have a first face-to-face meetup, just tag @dee and I’ll include it. You might get a few more along :slight_smile:

With the hangouts, you’re likely to reach more people (and be able to chat to people all over the world) if you join the Welsh Speaking Practice Slack as mentioned above. It’s open to anyone who wants to practise Welsh :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Caz and Dee.
I’ll be happy with whatever takes place. Evening is better for me than day, because I’m in work. But just let me know, I’d be really happy to join in with whatever takes place.

Just my personal opinion, but the WSP Slack approach might make potential participants feel safer as it has the existing back-up structure.

Also, just my definitely NON-expert opinion, but it I am fairly sure that the only entry qualifications will be the ability to say Helo. So everyone will be “good enough”.

1 Like

Hi Caz and All. Great to hear you on Cai’s hangout last night. Even though it was slightly advanced and affected by my poor internet signal etc.

Looking forward to tomorrow, perhaps with stuff like “I want to speak Welsh”.
Cheers, John.

1 Like

I’m in Briton Ferry, and, yep plenty in Tŷ Tawe in terms of events. I’m ‘doing’ the coffee at the Siop Siarad coffee morning one of the weekends this month. 23rd I think - newcomers always welcome (any week not jsut when I’m there obs! ;-))

3 Likes

Thank you for the information, unfortunately, getting to Ty Tawe from Aberafan is difficult, the bus service is awful. Was trying to find something closer to home !

1 Like

I saw on the news that a new welsh centre has opened in Aberafan. I think it’s only open between 10am and 4pm though, which isn’t much use if you’re working. They might be a good contact point for things?

3 Likes

Yes I went to the opening, but it is just and information cewntre. They have information on courses you can sign up to. As yet I have no information on wihether or not they intend to have a drop in so you can practise your welsh, from what I understand they dont. All the courses available seem to be in Swansear, Neath and Pontardawe.
Thats is why I have started Say Something in Welsh on line, but it would be nice if a group of learners in Port Talbot could meet up somewhere to practise.

3 Likes

Thanks it was good to listen in, even though I could only follow bits n bobs.
Will pop in again when I’ve moved on a bit as I’m so new :slight_smile:

Hi Cax

Hi Caz
Im still at M4 services cardigf but ill try to connect on my mobile

No worries John we can alway schat another time. Drive safely

Diolch for popping in for a chat John :slight_smile:

Caz, it was great to speak with you. You are really doing well.

Hi All. Regarding Aberafan. We were wondering if Francos chip shop would be a possble evening meet?

Caz, you mentioned a pub in Aberafan. Could you remind me of the name please

Or if anyone wantd to try the Port Talbot Hangout or perhaps move it onto Slack WSP?

2 Likes

The Margam Dear, it’s by Morrisons and BM Bargains etc.
Or there’s the 12 Knights.
Happy to move into Slack it was all new to me when I set up the hangout.
Happy to go with either.
So who fancies a face to face meet up one evening?
Other location suggestions welcome, hope we can arange something

2 Likes

Would be good if we could arrange something. Aberafan hotel is also a good place to meet. There is a group of very experienced Welsh speakers who meet there in a Friday morning .
Would be good if those of us just beginning to learn could meet up and maybe once we gain confidence and know more could join them occasionally for experience

3 Likes