Learner Badge

I’m sure a few years ago there were small badges which were available for welsh learners to wear. I think they were intended to help break the ice, and encourage learners to start a conversation. Does anyone know if they are still available ?

1 Like

http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.org/English/Assistance/Pages/ordercymrbadges.aspx

http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.org/English/Assistance/Pages/ordercymrbadges.aspx

I think that the learner badges were different, though, and specifically called you out as a learner rather than a speaker? I might consider wearing a learner badge in some circumstances (which ISTR reading don’t exist any more), but would be scared witless of ever wearing a just “Cymraeg” badge.

Me too

I don’t believe they are being made any more, I have one, which I do wear, but it’s rubber rather than metal/enamel, so they get dirty quickly.

There were some white “Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg” badges available on Maes-D at last year’s Eisteddfod, but they were very small and rather inconspicuous. I also have the rubber badge david mentions, which I wear occasionally. I sport the orange Cymraeg badge every day at work though.

Hwyl,

Stu

I’ve never seen those before Stu, if ever I can get to an Eisteddfod, I will keep my eye out for one.

I obtained quantity of the orange metal/enamel badges a little more than a year ago to give to people who participated in a “Welsh for Beginners: SaySomethinginWelsh” workshop I was leading. I would also like to know if they are still available from SSiW so I can obtain a set to give to learners at a future session. Does SSiW have these for sale?

Postscript to my message above: I had not tried the links posted earlier before posting my reply. I just did so and requested further information from there. I’m hoping they will be able to tell me how to order and pay for badges from the USA.

Generally they don’t take orders from outside Wales, but I do have a supply of them. If you send me a message with your address and how many you would like then I can send them to you. I have some lanyards too that have the same little orange symbol on them.

Diolch! I’ll keep your offer in mind if they tell me that they won’t ship beyond the UK and I have a teaching session scheduled.

Kev: I think that the learner badges were different, though, and specifically called you out as a learner rather than a speaker?

Stu: There were some white “Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg” badges available on Maes-D at last year’s Eisteddfod, but they were very small and rather inconspicuous.

Years ago I got a couple of “Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg” badges (from a friend in Wales) - one enamel and the other sort of rubber, but otherwise the same. I still keep the enamel one on my jacket lapel. It has the multi-orange comma in the middle, surrounded by the (black) words on a white background. Is that the one you were thinking of Kev?

Before my time, but I think that’s what I saw a picture of, yes :slight_smile:

It sounds like the sort of thing that would not be too terribly difficult to make for oneself.

1. I obtained a ’ ‘Dw i’n Dysgu Cymraeg’ badge a long time ago–2000 Eisteddfod, learner’s tent, I think–about 2 cm X 2 cm in size in red and green with a design showing 2 faces. Perhaps this design was a precursor to the orange ones.
  2. Following the link in the second message from “geek” above, I was able to connect with Sara Jones who offered to send badges to me for free, a very generous offer in light of the cost of postage to the USA.

Do the badges work / help though?

MIke, yes they have a positive reaction on more occasions than you would think. Tasteful enough to be worn on your Sunday Suit as well…

Do the badges work / help though?

I wore the ‘Cymraeg’ orange comma badge everywhere while traveling in Wales last year. Depending how you define ‘work/help’, I’d say definitely. I had people starting conversations in Welsh with me in shops, pubs quite a few times, and that means it worked for me.

Wish I’d made more effort to get one then, when I was in Wales. One of our number did, but I’m not sure where from.