Latest post by XYZ

Just read a comment by Aran questioning the amount of information given in the post summary. I think he was wondering how useful the ‘latest post by’ information was. I can’t check because even with the search function I can’t find it again.

Anyway, just to say I find the existing information about the posters very useful, both originator and latest poster. Very useful to see the time last posted.

Less useful is the title of the post because at the moment they all seem to be about suggestions for improvements to the forum and I’m not sure I’ll be able to find all the tips and hints again with limited time to play around here at present.

I’ll probably wait until work is progressed more down the line, then hope there will be a good thread summarising how to use the forum easily.

^^^like^^^

PS, we need a like/dislike (thumb up/thumb down) button on each post. :wink:

Not nessacelery. Personally I’d like a thumb up AND thumb down thingy.

Fel Llyfrwyneb - ond yn well

Up and Down

Not nessacelery.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who says that. LOL

Grunt: Not nessacelery.

Craig: I thought I was the only one who says that

Nope - we used to say it in primary school, too :slight_smile:

That’s almost as bad as hippotatamus or hippotatamouse.

Well, they are both perfectly cromulent words. :wink:

Kinetic: Nope - we used to say it in primary school, too :slight_smile:

It’s good to see others share my goofy sense of humor :slight_smile:

Now you’re being ridiculumouse.

Anyway, just to say I find the existing information about the posters very useful, both originator and latest poster. Very useful to see the time last posted.

Can I ask how this affects your behaviour? I’m keen to test some variants with this, so knowing what people are using/not using it for would be a real help…:slight_smile:

The time last posted is irrelevant for me now because of the green highlighting, if it’s green I haven’t read the last post so I’ll read it regardless of how long ago it was … as long as the thread is of interest obviously.

The information about the originator is a little more, shall we say, controversial and I might get some flack for saying this but … after being a heavy user on the forum for over two years one gets used to who’s threads I would not be interested in so I would just skip. There, I’ve said it, I have my favourites. :wink:

Latest poster is also irrelevant because there may be several posts since I last opened the thread.

That’s really interesting, Geraint - because the truth is, I could steal that response from you and use it as my own - with the one addition that I need to catch stuff that hasn’t been answered and/or comments from new users…:slight_smile:

That “new user” caught my eye, Aran. Could there be a subtle sign that someone has posted their first post? Not a fanfare, or flashing gold surround or anything, but a little sign somewhere in the box that gives us the heads up that we have someone to welcome.

BTW, I don;t really use the first line of text - justthe headline. I think it’s rare to get more info from the first line. The question is, on the rare occasion when it it useful, is it useful / important or useful / I knew what it was before i opened it but would probably have opened it anyway.

I suspect that latter may be different now to in a few weeks / months time when there’s more posts.

Yup, I think there’s a lot of behavioural stuff like that we can do in the coming months (and years!).

I’m definitely getting a better sense of whether or not my input is needed from the first line - particularly when the title isn’t otherwise very clear. For example, look at the Georgia Ruth thread - it could be about looking for CDs, having found a YouTube video, asking what a word she sings means, etc etc etc - but with the first line showing, it’s a question about people going to a gig, and not relevant to me. Added up over time, that kind of insight is a genuine help to me.

Iestyn - BTW, I don;t really use the first line of text - justthe headline. I think it’s rare to get more info from the first line.

Same here – I’m much more interested in the author of the most recent post than in the first line of text. I do like seeing that Iestyn has just popped in to a grammar thread, or Owain has added some iinfo on etymology. I think it also helps with the ‘community’ feel – hey, look who dropped by recently! – especially since who’s currently online is no longer visible.

especially since who’s currently online is no longer visible

That won’t be the case for ever…:slight_smile:

Since the new forum works so well on my phone, I am now constantly logged in! I look at the forum more often than my twitter account or the news. Is that a problem? Yes, I am not getting anything else done!

On the topic of FLOTs - I think they’re rather useful. At the moment on the left I can see “Bi-lingual publications”, and the FLOT tells me that it’s a question I can’t answer, rather than an announcement that someone’s found something useful and are sharing.

There’s also a definite ‘nice feeling’ about it.

Diolch! I was starting to think I was the only person getting value from them, and Ifan scents blood and starts trying to get rid of things when he thinks I’m the only person who wants them…:wink: