Latest details - Rescue mission for Saith Seren

Diolch am dy e-bost, Aran

I’m ready to go as indicated above, but I’d prefer to set up a standing order if possible in which case all I’d need is the bank account sort code and account number / name along with an indication of when you want me to start.

If this doesn’t work for you/Saith Seren, I’ll have another look at using your Direct Debit intermediary. I’ll get my pledge to you some way or other. :smile:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about Saith Seren. When I heard about Saith Seren when it opened A few years ago, I thought the pub was bought outright.
Do you think it would be better if you got a cooperative together to invest and buy the pub outright now? You could get advice how to go about it from the local council of voluntary services. Just a thought! Or am I missing something?

Diolch o galon, Huw - I’ll bear that in mind, and get back in touch if we get enough people for them to carry on (because we can’t give a specific date) :sunny: :thumbsup:

Tricia - yup, that’s the way they’d like to go, and they’ve been trying to get the funding, but not managing, unfortunately - they’re already a co-operative, and have done what they can with looking for grants - but not getting the governmental support they need and deserve…

Right. I have been thinking of buying a pub in Swansea and have it focusing on the Welsh language too. I have talked about it with a few people and they think it would be great. So my next step is to visit the voluntary service with my idea to see if 1) it’s a viable plan and give me advice how to go about it or 2) they will say it’s a no go! So we will see!

2 Likes

Good luck. It’s hugely and exactly what is needed - it’s one of the huge strengths of language supporters in Basque Country - almost all the entertainment side of things in the north is Basque language focused… :sunny:

Has anybody thought to ask the land lord to reduce the rent? Surely for them that it would be better than having and empty pub standing there getting no rent at all for I don’t know how long! Must add the rent does sound quite excessive to my eyes!

They’ve been asking for years. It sounds as though the landlord would prefer to turn the place into flats…

Oh right, same old same old- how to make a quick buck!

2 Likes

Therefore more the reason to buy it, something for the community and the Welsh language, rather than lining greedy pockets!

2 Likes

Update

We’re standing at £230 a month actually set up as direct debits ready to go, another £170 offered as a one-off payments, and £60 a month standing ready from overseas supporters.

If you’ve pledged in here and not filled the form in yet, here it is again, for UK bank accounts (for non-UK bank accounts, we’ll be in touch to figure something out if we get far enough to make it happen):

https://dashboard.gocardless.com/api/paylinks/0W52J43PPG

:sunny:

i’ve pledged. Think we’re sending out a clear message by our hearts and our actions.

1 Like

Diolch o galon - yes, you certainly are, and I know for a fact that you’re inspiring the Saith Seren board of directors, who will be meeting tomorrow night to talk things over (so the more payments we can have set up before then, the better!) :sunny:

1 Like

Er, make that £270 a month - £3240 a year - a long way to go yet, but a superb start :sunny:

I’ve checked with my bank this afternoon. Automatic payment is not possible from Slovenia however I can pay via my e-bank every single month. If this can go to your acount you’ve opened (or you will open) aswell, then the things are solved for me. I won’t forget, don’t worry and if things stand good in the future at my end you never know if some pounds more then 20 comes to your end. :slight_smile: Hope it goes everything in right direction so that Saith Seren stays opened.

1 Like

Really appreciate it, Tatjana, diolch yn fawr iawn :star2:

1 Like

And as I head to be, we’re up to £300 in terms of direct debits filled in and ready to go, and, er, round about £100 on top of that from people without UK bank accounts - so not to bad for the first couple of days, and the first afternoon of having an actual payment system in place.

This might just be winnable…

In view of this, you can forget my previous preference for Standing Orders. I have gone ahead and set up a Direct Debit through gocardless.

1 Like

Just a quick diolch here as Mrs Shak and I have learned something very useful about crowdfunding from all this for a similar community project we’re getting off the ground. And yes, I’ll stick in my details as soon as I get back from the mynd â 'r ci am dro thing. Amazing what you learn from a bit adversity.

2 Likes

Huw, you’re a fine man. Diolch o galon.

Andy - yep, everything’s learning, isn’t it? :sunny: It’d be great if any of this helps you as well :sunny:

Up to £380 this morning, and another £100 or so (plus a fair few one-off offers) from overseas supporters. I’m starting to think it’s got a real chance - it’ll be interesting to hear feedback from the board meeting tonight…

Here’s that payment link again, folks:

https://dashboard.gocardless.com/api/paylinks/0W52J43PPG

:sunny:

The ‘duh’ moment was the realisation that the tangible demonstration of support is at least as valuable as the money when you’re applying for grants. Shame I didn’t clock that earlier.

1 Like