Is hostility to non-Welsh learners from a minority of Welsh people harming language?

And yet, ‘nawr’ seems to come from ‘yn awr’ … so is it perhaps you Gogs who’ve got it backwards? :wink:

6 Likes

I’m actually from the South!

2 Likes

'Ray for us!

Yup, happily using the original “Nawr” (which comes, as sarapeacock says, either from “yn awr”, possibly at a time so early that “yn” was a form of “the”.) So early it beats the “rwan” from “yr awr hon” by many centuries.

Odd co-inkydink mind.

1 Like

Careful :wink: Your chief talking partner is from the south. Well no, she’s from England, but has learned with @Iestyn . We learners are very faithful to our first teachers.

2 Likes

I don’t know that ‘Da boch chi’ is posh, but it certainly is formal.
I was taught it, but told, at the same time, that if I used it I would sound like I was 80. While I might feel 80 sometimes I’m not actually that old.

2 Likes

Haha, but I was born in Cardiff and raised in port talbot, which makes me south walian…and in school I learnt hoffi, gyda, nawr, llaeth etc.

i also used to pronounce ear, here, hear and year in exactly the same way.

But I’m more educated these days :wink:

1 Like

I’m not quite 75, but used “Da boch chi!” until SSiW and watching more S4C!! I have at least one ap which gives Ffarwel, and that I would never use, it makes me think of the 16th Century! (mm… :thought_balloon: most people I knew why spoke Welsh were older than me, that’s why I was totally used to ‘chi’ for everyone!)

2 Likes

…true, and which makes me a gog, although I’m as English as the cliffs of Dover, or more accurately, the southern Lake District.

Edit: BTW, in English, saying goodbye to someone in difficult circumstances, such as a bereavement, I can think of myself saying “take care”, or “take care now”, or something like that, but at the same time, the person on the other end not taking a blind bit of notice of what I actually said, but hopefully from the tone of voice hearing what I was feeling, and trying to convey.

Interestingly, you can say “farwel” in Danish or Norwegian (& maybe Swedish) as well, and I don’t think it’s regarded as old fashioned.

The verb “to fare” is closely related to the German verb “fahren” - to travel - so literally “farewell” is “travel well” (or safely).

Yes formal is a better word. I tend to say posh when others might more accurately say formal. Basically you wouldn’t say da boch chi to friends and close family.

I had a teacher at school who tried to get us to say ee ah rs for ears, she never got very far. I’m more educated now and still couldn’t and wouldn’t say it any other way.

[Reply to Toffidil & Petermescall]

FWIW large swathes of England are in the same boat, certainly most of the Midlands.

Ffarwel i blwyf Llangower, â´r Bala dirion deg … Rwy´n mynd i wlad y Saeson, a´m calon fel y plwm … More hiraeth, I´m afraid :slight_smile:

Heard after funerals: “We’ll keep you in our prayers.” “We’ll be thinking of you.” “Please do keep in touch.” Or just silent handclasps or hugs, depending on how close the relationship. I don’t think I recall “Goodbye” or any variant thereof, now I think of it.

I haven’t had any problems with this so far, probably because I don’t know enough Welsh to try it on anyone yet!
I just wanted to say, that I am learning Welsh, for several reasons, and one of the main ones is out of respect for Welsh culture.
I am English.
My daughter and I let a holiday cottage in North Wales. We spend a lot of time there, and we love it. We hope to bring some money into the area, and some work, (old cottages need a lot of maintenance), and we want to contribute to the life of the area.
We only bought the cottage last year, and we couldn’t even pronounce our own address.
This is showing ignorance on our part which is almost unforgivable.
I also used to teach English, one to one, to students with Dyslexia. I love languages and am fascinated by them.
I. am enjoying learning Welsh on this course, which was recommended to me by a Welsh speaker.
I am looking forward very much to learning more.

7 Likes

It’s always particularly encouraging to see that kind of attitude - croeso i Gymru - I’m sure you’re going to make a very valuable contribution… :star2: :dizzy:

3 Likes