Including "more"

I am on Course 1, Lesson 15 and would like to utilize the word “more” with the sentences I know. Can anyone help? Please forgive my spelling - it will be entirely phonetic. Diolch, Lisa

For example,
Do you have cheese? --Ois gen ti caws?
vs.
Do you have more cheese? --Ois gen ti “more” caws?

Or,
Person 1: Thank you for dinner, it was excellent.
Person 2: Thank you, do you want more? --Diolch, oit ti ishiau “more”?

Shwmae Lisa.
The word for more in Welsh is “mwy” (or ‘mwOEE’ phonetically).
I see you’re doing the Northern course so, being “hwntw”, this is only a best guess - hopefully a “gog” will be here soon to give you a correct answer! Here goes…
Do you have more cheese? - Oes gen ti fwy o gaws? (“mwy” softens to “fwy” after ti, but the sentence could possibly be Oes gen ti’n mwy caws? This is where I’m hoping a Northern course learner will come and correct me!)
Thank you, do you want more? - Diolch, wyt ti isio mwy?
Hope you get a more confirmed response soon.
:smile:

@Gavin: “correct” may be overstating it, but from my gog learner perspective, I would not have put that “'n” in, so the first one looks better to me.

I think we are also allowed the flexibility of putting it the other way around:

“Oes mwy o gaws gen ti?” (with no mutation on mwy needed in that case), although I don’t think that is taught on course 1, and the other way round may be more common or the norm.

Gavin is spot on with ‘Oes gen ti fwy o gaws?’ and ‘Diolch, wyt ti isio mwy?’ and Mike is spot on with ‘Oes mwy o gaws gen ti?’…

:star: all round…:smile:

Aran,
Cwrs 3 gwers 21… Love this lesson ( mwy fel na,ogydd)… Mae cwestiwn da fi.

Felly,

“I insist on getting an answer: dwi mynnu Cael ateb”( I get this one)
Ond
I insist on knowing:" dwi mynnu Cael gwybod"

Tipyn Bach yn ddryslyd os chi’n gwybod beth sy’n gyda fi?

“He insists on being allowed to come to the pub with us: ma fe’n mynnu Cael dod ir dafarn gyda ni”

Allwch chi’ egluro Sut a Pham y gair cael yn cael ei ddefnyddio fel hyn? Is it some noun versus verb thing?
Just wondering…

Also when to use gallu instead of cael? So, I would have used cael in the last welsh sentence I wrote, but it didn’t seem right for some reason. Are they somewhat interchangeable? ( permitted to/ able to?)
Diolch am unrhyw help yma.

S’mae Simon

I would say that ability to do something and permission to do something are distinct concepts here. In English, both are covered by the word “can”. However, it might well be that colloquial speech interchanges the two; Aran or someone else with more experience should be able to enlighten us!

Hwyl,

Stu

Are they somewhat interchangeable?

To a certain extent, I guess - really, what this is that languages don’t map perfectly to each other - when you get to a certain level of complexity, you just have to forget about mapping, and go with what you get used to hearing in the new language. Cael doesn’t mean ‘on being’ - but it gets used in some circumstances where that’s what you’d say in English.

Definitely a situation where you don’t even want to start thinking about rules. Just notice usage when it’s a variant on what you expected, and your brain will turn it into a part of your overall ‘grammar’ of Welsh…:smile:

Diolch Aran,
Very Buddhist!
Need to practice my mindfulness more and work a bit less on the reason why.

Never liked getting stung by horseflies as a kid is the problem.

Thoughts of a course four yet (with trimmings)?
S
Brooklyn amadani fory!

:slight_smile:

Thoughts of a course four yet (with trimmings)?

Level 1 is pretty much a bridging course to post-Course 3 stuff - Level 2 will be a real challenge even for people who’ve finished Course 3 - so come on over, the water’s lovely…:smile:

Looking forward to it. Here’s hoping that Level 1 (De) is finished reasonably soon - I understand why it’s taking as long as it is, but I would like to be able to do the rest of it.