Immersing your technology in Cymraeg

This works, although it involves extra keystrokes…

1 Like

what the French did and get rid of the circumflex from the language.

As far as I am aware, this only applies to the vowels u and i (except when its omission would be ambiguous). A quick check on today’s “Le Monde” has reassured me that “le circonflexe” is alive and well for the other vowels.

It’s a case of “Être ou ne pas **e**tre” :wink:

3 Likes

u0175 0175 ŵ ŵ

Good find!

Not sure 7 keystrokes is going to keep it in my regular usage box…:wink:

On my iMac I did System preferences > Language & region, then under the ‘Preferred languages’ box on the left is a little plus sign - clicking that brings up a list of languages in which you should be able to find ‘Cymraeg’, and you can select it to install the language on the system. Then there should be a little Union Jack at the top right of the screen (we’ll skirt over any political implications here, as this is the SSiW forum), which you can toggle to a Ddraig Goch instead. This will give you the Welsh keyboard (so, for example, Alt + w gives you ŵ).

Microsoft do a Welsh language interface pack for Office, but unfortunately it’s not available for Mac, only Windows. But for those who are on a Windows machine, it is possible to get Word etc. in Welsh, with spellcheck etc. See http://cymraeg.llyw.cymru/services/Technology/howto/office-2010-13/?lang=en

On my iPhone I’ve recently installed Swiftkey (which previously was only available in Welsh for Android but was extended to iPhone & iPad last month, I think), which has predictive text in Welsh, and has lowered my blood pressure considerably…

1 Like

When I was on Windows I used to use those 4-digit ASCII shortcuts regularly. You get used to them in the end…

1 Like

this help at all?

http://www.omgchrome.com/google-release-uk-extended-keyboard-extension-chromebook/

1 Like

Good find, but it seems only to work for ‘grave’ accents…

He said gravely

1 Like

A very acute observation. :wink:

1 Like

No need to start getting cedilly. If this carries on you can count me umlaut.

3 Likes

no need to be so circumflex, just say what you mean

3 Likes

I think we are all suffering with typographical diaeresis now.

3 Likes

everyone’s a diacritic these days

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s my accent you don’t like.

2 Likes

They didn’t :slight_smile:

My iPad is definitely learning some Cymraeg! It knows the word Cymraeg, ddrwg. I forget the rest but am surprised by the number of times it suggests the right word when I am typing! iawn llangollen!

I stând côrrêctêd. <B-0===

1 Like

I believe you were partly right, John. Perhaps you and @garethrking missed my comment earlier in post #22 above. :smile:

1 Like

A reminder that for Windows users, there is the To Bach utility:

http://www.interceptorsolutions.com/tobach

Once installed & run (normally run once at startup), you just use the AltGr key, plus the vowel that you want.

There is also a configuration file that one can edit to add different characters (e.g. accents, umlauts or whatever, for various languages).

3 Likes

Found a little quirk with the iPad… if you use the onscreen keyboard, you can get the ŵ by holding the ‘w’ and then picking the ŵ.

If you have a physical keyboard, you cannot do this on the British Keyboard. Even the standard way of adding a to bach to a character does not work for ‘w’. Instead, change the keyboard to ABC extended. (General/Keyboard/Hardware Keyboard/English (UK)).

Once this setting is changed, you can get ŵ by doing Option key with 6 to get the caret, then release and press the ‘w’. All the other keys work as normal, except ‘£’ and ‘#’. To get ‘#’ do shift-3 to get ‘£’ do option-3.

Shame that the iPad does not have a Welsh keyboard (like the Mac)

1 Like