'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’ve not lived in Wales for over 30 years, but I am passionate about my country and its culture. The Welsh language is so important and being able to speak it would make me feel very proud.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh Speaker because I’m walking the Welsh Coastal Path and want to have a deeper connection with the places I visit that are predominantly Welsh speaking. (I come from a traditionally non-speaking area of Wales - now living in Lloegr - and am too old to have learned any at school when unfortunately it wasn’t offered!)

6 Likes

I live in Llanelli, where a large proportion of people speak Welsh.
When I am a Welsh speaker, I would like to go to the Eisteddfod and understand what is going on.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want my children to be flent, and I feel I should be able to speak my national language :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wan to be a Welsh speaker because I would love to speak Welsh with my partner

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I spent happy times in Wales on holiday and studying at university, and I regret not learning the language sooner.

6 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because someone said, if you plant leeks in amongst the cabbages they do not become cabbages, nor do their children, or their childrens, children.

5 Likes

My grandmother’s first language was Welsh. By the end of this course I hope to have a good foundation for studying Medieval Welsh and other Celtic languages, but with a toehold in the present.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have moved to Cardiff and I am a teacher so I want to be able to speak Welsh with the children

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think Welsh is a beautiful language. While I don’t live in Wales, I do have plans to visit! And would love to be able to converse in Welsh confidently and maybe even share a laugh or two. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as I’ve said for years that I’d like to get my Welsh back after forgetting what I’d learned in school.
I spent a wonderful Autumn in North Wales and honestly felt a great sense of shame that I could only catch snippets of what people around me were saying in our beautiful language so that was it! time to do something about it!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s a beautiful language, and I want to better connect to my heritage. I want to be able to pass it on to my own children some day as well. One thing I hope to happen is having a nice, relaxed conversation with someone in Wales when I finally get to visit.

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to feel connected to the people where I live.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would like to learn the language of Heaven before I die otherwise I won’t know what they are saying should I get there.

9 Likes

I wanted to learn Welsh as I have felt a disconnect to my country and people when I travel around (with work and leisure), and want to learn and speak the language I want. And to engage fully with all my fellow Welsh population.

When I get the full ability to hold conversation fully, I want to use it at every opportunity, to see peoples happiness, proud to be Welsh and speak its language. With an extra being able to provide a better service with work.

6 Likes

I am English, living in the Midlands, but love visiting Wales. I dream of moving there one day and know that I would feel more part of the community if I could speak more Welsh.

6 Likes

Dw i’n Moyn i ddysgu cymraeg achos mae hi’n iaith gyntaf fy Nhad . Mae e,n dod o Drimsaran… a dw i’n dwli y iaith Cymraeg am byth

7 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because having moved here three years ago it helps me to appreciate and respect the culture more; also to engage with local people using the native language - even a little; and, at 75, to try something new, however imperfectly! I think some knowledge of the language where one lives helps one assimilate.

5 Likes

Same here!

1 Like

Brought up in North Wales, but neither my parents spoke Welsh, likewise myself.
On my mothers side, Edwards, her great grandad spoke only Welsh, but this unfortunately was lost in future generations.
I left Wales 45 years ago to marry, to live and to work in England, but always saw myself as Welsh and proud of it, especially during the Rugby Home Nations and World Cup and often attended the matches.
It has never left me, to feel incomplete or embarrassed, that I never took the time out to learn the language of my birth, especially at the times of attending the Rugby, Football or
Welsh Choir, be it at the grounds, church or CD’s.
I am determined to go as far as I can, having discovered the marvellous “Say something in Welsh” methods of learning and support, if I couple this by putting on the cooperation of shopkeepers and churches when visiting Wales, I should stand my best chance ever.
Looking forward to your help and support and if the “Say something in Welsh” five day training is anything to go by, (Thank you so much Aron) then the future looks bright and exciting.
Will be in touch as I progress and thank you all at SSiW so much you are amazing people !!!
Chris (Male)

5 Likes