'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’ve always thought it would be so great to speak another language, and when I moved to Wales it seemed like a good opportunity to do that. Fortunately I found SaySomethinginWelsh which has helped my ability to speak enormously. It’s also helping that it turns out Welsh is an interesting language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to read my beloved myths and stories in their original language, and because I hope to visit Wales someday.

I am looking forward to watching rygbi on S4C and understanding the Welsh commentary.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker becuase I want to reconnect with my heritage and culture and also because I want to produce work in Welsh exploring the rich narrative history held in the Welsh oral storytelling traditions.

4 Likes

Dwi I’m isio siarad Cymraeg achos mae gen i teulu sydd byw yn Gwynedd a dwi’n angen siarad cymraeg efo nhw.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love the Celtic languages and a favourite aunt was brought up in Cardiff

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to truly belong to this land and community

5 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because I have always loved Wales, the history, myths and legends and I believe that you can learn a lot about a culture from the language. I am moving to Caernarfon in January and want to be able to speak to my new Welsh friends and colleagues in their own language (I hope I make lots of new Welsh friends!). I think it’s very rude to move to a country and not make an effort to learn the language! :grin::wales:

6 Likes

Gwych - croeso i Gaernarfon! Let us know when you’re ready to practise and we can join you for a coffee in Caffi Maes :slight_smile:

1 Like

My mother never taught me and I’m making up for lost time.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, even at my very advanced age, I have the emotional need and feel that I still have the ability to learn not just another language, but the beautiful language of the country of my birth.

6 Likes

That’s so lovely! Do you have contact with other Welsh speaker’s in Germany? A friend of mine lives in Hamburg and I’ve visited Germany a few times. Beautiful country and beautiful people.

S’mae Rebecca! We do have a tiny Welsh learners’ group (only three of us, and I’m the “teacher”, because I’ve been learning the longest - heaven help the others) here in Munich and, as it so happens, our next meeting is this very afternoon, so if your ears start burning it’ll be me telling the others about your post!.
A couple of years ago I did have some contact with a lovely lady living not too far from here but I ashamed to confess I didn’t keep it up because I’d let my Welsh learning slide and was too nervous; she was much better than me.
Since retiring I’ve returned my nose to its rightful place at the grindstone. I’ve also recently joined the toot.Wales instance at Mastodon (the social media platform many are joining following all the upheaval at Twitter) and am having immense fun posting in Welsh and getting lovely replies. I can thoroughly recommend it!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the lovely recommendation! I hope your meeting with your group went well xx

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think preserving minority languages and cultures is incredibly important.

6 Likes

Brilliant! So do I Kamal. :wales:
Welcome :blush:

4 Likes

I’ve been retired for a few years and now live near Lichfield (Caerlwytgoed) in Staffordshire, but I spent the majority of my working life in Germany, mainly in the lovely city of Regensburg, plus a couple of years in Nuernberg interspersed with frequent business trips to Munich (though only one to Hamburg). I have such happy memories of my time in Bavaria. I still monitor what’s going on in Germany by looking every day at the ZDF / Spiegel etc. websites and tuning into Tagesthemen and the Maybrit Illner / Anne Will political discussion programmes. I’m so jealous that you live in wonderful Muenchen! I enjoy living where I am now, but I would also like to live in Wales and in Bayern . . . but I guess you can’t be everywhere at the same time. I’m using retirement to make swift progress with SSiW and hope to achieve a decent level of proficiency in time for my 70th. That’s my target. Good luck and viel Spass with your own linguistic activities and ambitions! Cofion / Mit freundlichen Gruessen :wales:🇩🇪

5 Likes

Thank you, Rebecca! We practised Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (with a YouTube clip of the fans singing it in the background, for moral support), certain that us three singing along when watching the match on Friday morning would magically lead to a Welsh victory but - astonishingly - this was not the case :wink: :cry: Completely baffled!

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh-speaker even though I may never have the chance to speak Welsh in real life (I have lived in Japan for nearly fifty years, and may never visit Britain again) in part for what is perhaps a sentimental reason: some of the happiest days of my youth (my youth!) were spent in Wales, though not, alas, in a Welsh-speaking area - but I did learn some Welsh songs and a few Welsh phrases. It was in the days of the greatest Welsh rugby team ever, I think: with Barry John, Gareth Edwards and many other wonderful players (I was captain of rugby at a Welsh agricultural college). Later, working as an under-shepherd, we used to go to sheep-fairs in the Brecon Beacons, where the language was all Welsh. I wanted to learn the language that was originally spoken throughout Britain and southern Scotland. Other reasons are that I have always admired the English of originally Welsh-speakers like Richard Burton - those clear vowels, and light, sharp consonants, and that I should like to be able to read, however haltingly, the poems of Dafydd ap Gwilym in the original.
I should like to add that I think your approach is excellent (though I think ‘6 minutes a day’ is a bit of a stretch. or, rather the opposite of a stretch!), and wish that there had been such an approach when i was learning Japanese.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to make myself proud of my own achievement and realise that anything really is possible! I also want to converse with the lovely Welsh speakers that I’ve met in my village :blush:

5 Likes

I hope to retire to Wales, where i want to be able to speak welsh as part of my everday life.

6 Likes