I had a great trip to Wales

Well I am back home after a fantastic trip to Wales, staying in a lovely apartment near Betws-y-Coed. I couldn’t possibly list in this posting all that I did, but amongst the highlights I can mention:
Meeting @Richmountart (and Natasha of course!) from SSiW in Betws-y-Coed. Thanks so much to both of you for coming all that way to meet me. True, I didn’t speak too much Welsh but the encouragement I got from you was great.
And meeting fellow SSiW-ers @siaronjames, @aran and @ChrisTaylor in Caernarfon the next day. Again, it may seem that I didn’t speak that much Cymraeg, but the encouragement I got from all of you was worth everything. I was also exhausted that day to begin with. Thanks to all of you for coming and meeting up. I really hope it won’t be the only time for me.
Just meeting you all made my whole trip worth while. Aran - what an interesting and enthusiastic person, and I wish you all the best in your wonderful venture that is Say Something in Welsh.
Going to an all-male Welsh choir evening in Eglwys y Santes Fair in Betws-y-Coed. A magical event.
Visiting Ty Mawr Wybrnant, home of Bishop William Morgan, translator of the bible into Welsh, in a remote Snowdonia valley and meeting Wil (whose first years were spent in a Welsh-only environment), the amazing proprietor of this National Trust property. Learning about the dragon that really lives in the valley… If you have never been, you should.
Chatting with an old farmer in Welsh on the track that leads from the Fairy Glen near Betws-y-Coed to the Conwy Falls, and learning how that track was the precursor of the A5 road.
And just chatting in Welsh whenever I had the opportunity and felt like it.
Such lovely people. I feel that I was privileged to have a few glimpses of the real Wales - and I don’t mean the tourist places, great as they are. The heart of the Welsh language and culture is of course the people themselves. For those of you Welsh people on this Forum (who have read this far), preserve your beautiful culture.
Diolch yn fawr iawn.

18 Likes

I’m glad you had such a great trip @Baruch . Sorry I didn’t get the chance to meet up while you were down

3 Likes

It was lovely to meet you too, Baruch, and glad you enjoyed your visit - you managed to squeeze a lot in! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m glad you had such a wonderful time - it shows what happens to people who really throw themselves into it… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Next time you are in North Wales, you might want to visit the cathedral in St Asaph (Llanelwy).
They have an early copy of his bible. It’s a lovely little cathedral as well (more like a parish church really). Maybe try and take in Evensong there (usually Sunday evenings I think). Probably won’t be in Welsh, but beautiful nevertheless. There is (or at least was) also a Welsh chapel in St Asaph, though I have never attended a service there. (My in-laws used to live in St Asaph).

2 Likes

It was a real pleasure to meet you @Baruch!
We’ve been so intensely busy with work over the last few months that I think that was the first day since June that we put all thoughts of working on a new business aside and focused on coffee and good conversation. (and as a bonus since meeting I’ve started actively engaging in learning Welsh again rather than what had unfortunately become just treading water!
Tan tro nesaf!

2 Likes

A great post, thanks for sharing, glad you had a great time! :beers:

PS, if anyone is wondering why I withdrew the previous post it is because predictive text turned, “A great post” into, “A Emma post” :confused:

2 Likes

:astonished:

turning it into “a gate post” would be what I’d call predictive! Still, I heard that the inventor of predictive text has died. His funfair will be hello on Sundial. :wink:

7 Likes

Glad you had a great trip. Sorry I missed you…

1 Like