Hwre! It's Publication Day!

Helo Pawb,

Those who’ve been in shouting distance of me, may know that I’ve written a novel. The Tides Between is the reason I originally started learning Welsh. I thought finding out a ‘little bit’ about the language would help my research. Anyway, the novel is being published today. Hwre! And I am also now a Welsh speaker Hwre, hwre! and even louder hwre!

The Tides Between is being published in Australia but it will be available worldwide in Print on Demand and eBook formats (Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, Google play etc.). The paper back will eventually (don’t ask why not yet) be available through Book Depository, Fish Pond and a host of other online stores. This means you will be able to buy a print copy online or, alternatively, walk into your local bookshop and order a printed copy, or ten (Christmas is coming, cofiwch!).

Book Details
ISBN: 978-1-925652-22-2 (pbk) | 978-1-925652-23-9 (ebook)
Category: Young Adult / Historical Fiction
Trade paperback: 300 pages
Publication Date: 20 October 2017
RRP: AU $23.95 (pbk) | $5.99 (ebook)

To celebrate the release of The Tides Between, I have persuaded my publisher to offer a discount to the Say Something Welsh Community - 99c for a day!

This will coincide with the weekly newsletter. So, when you open next week’s newsletter, follow the link, to purchase a 99 cent copy of The Tides Between.

Unfortunately, we can only offer a discount in the Kindle format, as other outlets don’t offer Amazon style one day sales. If you are not keen to buy the book (I’m a librarian so, I’m conflicted by this whole marketing thing), why not ask your local library to purchase a copy? Alternatively, if you are struggling financially and can barely see your way to buying the weekly groceries, PM me and we’ll sort something out.

Here are the Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/Tides-Between-Elizabeth-Jane-Corbett-ebook/dp/B076KV1QLJ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1508845184&sr=8-16&keywords=the+tides+between

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tides-Between-Elizabeth-Jane-Corbett-ebook/dp/B076KV1QLJ/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508845250&sr=1-3&keywords=the+tides+between

It’s on sale on Amazon.com.au too. But the link doesn’t look as pretty. :frowning:

https://www.amazon.com.au/d/Tides-Between-Elizabeth-Jane-Corbett-ebook/B076KV1QLJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508845298&sr=8-1&keywords=the+tides+between

You can find out more about me and my Welsh language journey on my website: http://elizabethjanecorbett.com

Meanwhile, here is the book blurb and a picture of the cover.

She fancied herself part of a timeless chain, without beginning or end, linked only by the silver strong words of its tellers.

In the year 1841, on the eve of her departure from London, Bridie Stewart’s mother demands she forget her dead father and prepare for a sensible, adult life in Port Phillip. Desperate to save her precious childhood memories, fifteen-year-old Bridie is determined to smuggle a notebook filled with her father’s fairy-tales to the far side of the world.

When Rhys Bevan, a soft-voiced young storyteller and fellow traveller realises Bridie is hiding something, a magical friendship is born. But Rhys has his own secrets and the words written in Bridie’s notebook carry a dark, double meaning.

As they inch towards their destination, Rhys’s past returns to haunt him. Bridie grapples with the implications of her dad’s final message. The pair take refuge in fairy tales, little expecting the trouble it will cause.

11 Likes

Hwre! Llongyfarchiadau mawrion!

I love this, it’s so beautiful:

[quote=“elizabeth_jane, post:1, topic:9751”]
She fancied herself part of a timeless chain, without beginning or end, linked only by the silver strong words of its tellers.[/quote]

Can’t wait to read the rest!

2 Likes

Thanks Anna! I hope you aren’t disappointed!

2 Likes

Dw i’n edrych ymlaen. I’m looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Hwre!

I’ve bought kindle edition yesterday! Now to reading it onthe bus when going home. :slight_smile: (I have to be careful not to forget to go off the bus - haha). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau mawr, Liz! :star: :star2:

@Deborah-SSi - are we good to go with this for next week? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely! What an accomplishment!

3 Likes

As one who tried and failed for professional publication, I know how hard it is and how good you have to be to sell your first novel! Da iawn! Llongyfarchiadau!

Oh good, the dragon is dancing again!

3 Likes

Thanks heaps! There’s a fair bit of luck and the stars aligning too. :slight_smile: I think small presses and digital publishing are changing the game.

1 Like

Yes, the publisher says yes.

You might end up in Australia. :rofl:

Diolch yn fawr!

Haha! Don’t be surprised to see me knocking on your door saying “ummm well, where am I? Is it Kranj already?” :smile:

A rather belated Hwre!
I was a bit worried about how to access the meisterwerk in Wales. Getting an actual book seems expensive, which has left the Kindle route. I have no e-reader, but you can buy/rent the Kindle file and read through a browser, which isn’t great, but it means I can now read it. I’ll go for a chapter a day, as I can’t read much more off screens. So it’ll take me a while. Yet i am very excited too!

1 Like

I’m afraid I used the bargain price. Feel awful guilty. It’s about what my amateur publishers charged for my stories back when you were a gurgling babe! So far - great! Does that mean my body is 76 but my brain is 14?

1 Like

If you are moderately technical, you can use the freeware “Calibre” to convert it to various other formats (including pdf, and epub). You could then use Adobe Acrobat on a computer to read it, which is at least slightly better than the browser/ Kindle-for-PC interface. Or there are various freeware epub readers around. Or you can read it within Calibre itself (not a bad user interface actually).

2 Likes

The hard copy should be available at normal bookshop prices through online sites. Or you can request it though your local bookseller. It is Print of Demand in the UK, so no huge postal costs

1 Like

I offered! I’m glad you took me up on it! I haven’t offered it to anyone else but the SSiW community.

This is so exciting! I just bought it - thanks so much for getting us a discount price. I hope to find time, if not soon a bit later to have a go at reading some fiction… I’m not a reader and if I do read it’s non-fiction, but your book really appeals to me (largely because it has Welsh characters) but I’m also living here in Australia, not originally from here, and I like the idea of the story taking place on a journey across the sea travelling away from the homeland to a new and different home… and the description of the storyline sounds intriguing. I really hope the best for you and this book :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Emillie. Do let me know if you enjoy it! Where in Australia are you?