How do I find the 'assessment' that's mentioned at the end of C12, Level 1?

Can’t find the assessment that’s mentioned at the end of C12, Level 1. Where is it, please? Doesn’t seem to be an ‘Ask’ button in the Forum section as mentioned on the podcast/challenge… help.

1 Like

Sorry, that may be about navigational changes since the lesson was recorded… I’m guessing this is related to the work that we were doing with Agored at one point… @iestyn, @Deborah-SSi, can you provide any more insight on this? :slight_smile:

Hi Aran; thanks for responding so quickly and yes, I think you’re right, it was connected with Agored, I remember hearing that being mentioned. Diolch yn fawr, hwyl

1 Like

I suppose I should also have asked that if it’s been removed, is there anything similar on SSIW that I could do on the site to test myself?

2 Likes

I’m not sure where we’re up to with that. I’ve sent an email through to Iestyn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not really… I’d recommend that you just keep on moving on through the lessons, and any time you don’t feel 100% at sea means that the learning process is working… :slight_smile:

I also recommend trying to get a regular conversational partner even at this early stage - it’s worth its weight in gold when you do - pushes you on, and gives you moments of triumph as well as the healthy recognition of gaps, and things that you individually like to say and need to find out how to say… :slight_smile:

Diolch Aran. Helpi fawr! Dw i’n hoffi dysgu Cymraeg gyda SSIW; it’s great hwyl a I got the good news henniw bo my employer is right behind me in supporting me to learn. There was dweud of a boot-camp type thing in my appraisal today and I have undertaken the challenge (to myself) of being fluent in dau years’ time. I might regret that, but I’m doing an hour a (work) day with SSIW in the car on my commute, a bit of DuoLingo, a Welsh uned from Aber University once a week for two hours and occasionally listening (gwrando?) to Learn Welsh with Will, plus WelshPlus… so who knows? the attempts at putting in Welsh in some strange places, but I was brought up with Franglais as I’m Franco-British, so I’m well used to such strange behaviour! Diolch yn fawr eto:smile:

2 Likes

This plus actual ‘No English Allowed’ conversations will do the trick - particularly if you resist the urge to repeat sessions (although you might find that it would be a little safer for you to do a new session each day at home if possible, and then repeat it a couple of times in the car).

And people who know about the entertainment inherent in bilingualism already have a definite head start :star2:

Hah! Wishful thinking. I got stuck for many repeats on no. 4 and am now a bit stuck on no. 12, it’s the ‘he would like/she would like’ and mutations on hen veniw/meniw that are causing me a bit of trouble, especially the having to start with the conditional tense of a verb… but I’ll get there. I did with no. 4 and I will with no. 12 - dim
stoppo fi!

1 Like

Can I suggest a sneaky ‘move the goalposts’? :slight_smile:

The ‘there’ you want to get to isn’t mastery of a particular challenge - it’s usage of the language. You’re not meant to master the challenges - if you do, you’re going too slowly! If you trust in the process, and keep on moving forward, the bits that haven’t stuck will keep getting revisited, until at some point most of them magically make sense. The few that don’t will get hammered out for you in live conversation.

The course isn’t great on he would like/she would like - they needed a bit more exposure, which is why they feel wobbly. But press on and they’ll end up working for you - and remember, if you go the whole way through Level 1 and 2 (and 3!) and then feel you need to come back, they’ll still be there for you (you’ll just be a little surprised at how much easier they feel)… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Aran, what would we do without you?

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes, and feel free to swear at me (in the privacy of your own car!) when it makes it all feel scary and out of control (because that IS what happens, but it’s normal, I promise). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will and thanks a million again - I LOVE my SSIW half hour x 2 a day - honestly!

4 Likes

Sorry to revive an old conversation, but I was wondering how it all worked out Caroline?
I’m stuck on 11/12 too. It makes me feel like I’ve forgotten everything else as I get stuck on how to even start the sentence and then forget the rest (and forget what Lestyn said in English lol)
(Sorry this is my first post - maybe I should have said helo somewhere else, but shwmae!)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Niki… :slight_smile:

Don’t get stuck - there are some unnecessarily long sentences in that 11 to 14 run - just move on through them, and trust the spaced repetition… or, alternatively, go back to 9 and have another ‘run up’ at them… but don’t worry about them… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aran,
If it wasn’t for this forum I may have given up by now, but it’s good to know that I’m not the only one. And now I know about lesson 25 I’ll be prepared to fail before I start it :grinning:

Actually I started to understand the make up of the sentences this morning while walking the dogs, it’s just remembering them now so I can see I’m improving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@NikiW, it worked out fine. I’m now on to lefel dau, challenge no. 3 - 4; finding it hard; but only because usually I can’t quite distinguish/hear what’s being said so as long as I can catch up at some point and see it written down, I’m not too bad. Hope it’s all coming together for you.

2 Likes

I went back to 9 and am back to 11 now and sure enough it’s all much easier, and best of all actually makes sense to me now (apart from being a bit confused with the word order for using ‘i ti’ after gofyn but before eto, but I’ll just carry on ignoring it and hope it becomes clear at some point, or natural) - diolch yn fawr Aran!

Nice to hear you’re so far ahead now Caroline, wow! I have to do the same, so I write the text down as it should be (the raw word list) then I write it phonetically - but I listen to the new words first to see if I can distinguish between the f and dd, ll and ch and usually I can’t! LOL

2 Likes

Well done @NikiW - it definitely works. As Aran so often points out, obstacles and stumbling blocks are all part of the process. Just don’t let them get you down to a point that is TOO down. It can feel like that sometimes; I’ve been there and done that, as they say. But just persevere, go back if necessary, take a break, but always come back and it’s surprising how a different day/week/frame of mind all helps.

3 Likes

Excellent, well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like