Hills and mountains in Welsh

It’s an urban myth that the Inuit have 100 different words for “snow”, but there certainly are - quite understandably - lots of words for “hill” and “mountain” in Welsh!

Is there a simple guide to distinguish between types of hill in Welsh? I’m thinking that my university dictionary gives me these words for hill:

twyn, tyle, allt, bre, bryn, gallt, garth, and rhiw. It only gives mynydd for mountain, although I know the Brecon Beacons are “bannau”.

Are the hill words interchangeable, or do they specifically relate to different types/shapes of hills (of course, we have lots of words for hill in English too - tump, mound, hillock, hill, knoll and so on)?

2 Likes

Some are interchangeable but others have subtle differences as you’ll see from the list below.
These are some of the definitions from GPC:

twyn - hill(ock), mound, knoll, hummock, heap, peak, dune, molehill
tyle - hill(ock) (with a suggestion of steepness)
allt - hill(side), steep gradient, cliff, wooded slope
bryn - hill, hillock, mountain
gallt - slope, hill, cliff, rock, wooded hillside
garth - mountain ridge, promontory hill, wooded slope
rhiw - steep slope, hill(side) (more commonly used in the SW)
bryncyn - hillock, knoll, tump, mound, heap
poncen/ponc/poncyn - hillock, tump, knoll, rising ground (more commonly used in the N)
trip - steep hill (relating to a road or path) (more commonly used in SE)
banc - rising ground, hillock, ridge, slope
moel - bare mountain, treeless hill, summit, rounded mountain
mynydd - mountain, large hill
ban (pl. bannau) - top, tip, summit, crest, peak, beacon, hill, mountain, bare hill

10 Likes

Thank you!! Exactly what I was looking for :grin:

1 Like

Great post thanks, both.
Interestingly, I’ve only noticed “banc” place names for slope (not riverbank, etc), in the western counties of Wales. Also, in English only in northern English dialects - I think :smile:

Here in this part of North Pembrokeshire we have ‘Cnoc’ meaning a small hill or mound. It derives from the Irish ‘Cnocc’

Interesting. I have ancestors from Cnwc and Pencnwc and I always supposed that it meant a little hill.
Sue

Yes; I noticed I made a typo; should read ‘cnwc’ not ‘cnoc’; it’s the Irish that is ‘Cnocc’

I didn’t even know that it was a typo - I thought that it was a variation!
Sue

It is now lol.

1 Like

Knowing Welsh there probably is a hamlet where they prefer cnoc to cnwc!