Hi from Australia!

It’ll be interesting from your point of view - to be at a learning level higher than another learner. And, then, it’ll be interesting for me to speak to someone who knows more, instead of someone at the same level.

Lesson 21 is heaps farther ahead of me too, I am only on lesson 4 and am already amazed at how much I can already say, so how much can you say after lesson 2, you must be able to have a fair conversation.

Absolutely. So, any time you feel like practicing, just let me know and I’ll PM you my Skype name. :smile:

Yeah, it’s amazing how fast this course goes. I’ve not actually had a proper conversation in Welsh as of yet, so I’m not very confident. I guess Actually speaking to some fluent speakers will be the real test!

1 Like

Sure thing!

… except I can be a bit of a wimp at times, so if it starts to seem like I’ve forgotten to let you know, feel free to shout and remind me. :slight_smile:

As a bonus, we’re both in the same timezone! I’m actually only three or four hours away from you, if you’re in Melbourne.

That’s perfectly fine. And it’s great that you’re so close! If you ever happen to be down here, let me know and we can chat face to face!

yep I will be interested in skyping in a few weeks or so still pretty busy but I am looking forward to the opportunity. I am hoping to try some Welsh out on Grandad later this week, as I am going to take the kids down to see him and nanna. the y will love it!!

That’s great to hear! I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck with speaking with your Grandad too! :smile:

Just tagging @louis and @elizabeth_jane (or @elizabeth_j_corbett_ depending on how she’s logged in!) on this thread - Louis is in Sydney and Liz is in Melbourne (well, usually, although I think she’ll almost have reached Corris for her five months in Wales by now), and they’re both Welsh speakers now, and do plenty to help others :sunny:

4 Likes

Great! Thanks for that. :smile:

2 Likes

Cheers for the info, I am hoping Grandad still remembers a bit (though he is 83) and left Hereford in 1973 but he used to work in Cymru and learn’t heaps of Welsh in the coal mines, but it would be good to practice with a fluent speaker. I am loving the course though I am up to lesson 4 south Welsh and love the way the speaker presents the material, Cheers, for getting this going just awesome!!

4 Likes

They’ll probably both scream slightly at being called fluent, but it’s high time for them to face up to the fact…:wink:

Great to hear you’re doing so well :star2:

I know you know that Hereford is in England, but I warn you that absolutely nobody spoke Cymraeg there in 1973, except possibly with family in the home!! (My Dad was still there then, we’d just buried my Mam and I was going there quite often). I would be surprised if your Tadgi (Grandpa) is fluent!!! Unless he palled up with speakers of yr hen iaiath living in Aus!!!

Yeah I read in a couple of places that people haven’t really spoken Welsh in Hereford since the 1860s, apparently the church notices in the western portions of Hereford were bilingual up until then though. So I don’t think he would be fluent however he worked as a coal miner in Crosshands in Wales for about five years and learnt a fair bit whilst he was working there. I was in Wales about ten years ago and spent about a month there with mu uncle in a small town near Cardigan and I loved it.

2 Likes

I love that there’s such a good Aussie contingent hanging around here! We’re so pervasive… but it’s cool.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s nice to know there are people with similar interests around.

1 Like

Just to say I know that area well enough to say that loads of people moved to that area from England and became fluent Welsh speakers and part of the Welsh language community there because of the mines- so it’s not surprising your grandfather became a Welsh speaker there!

Just saying hi guys. Another new Aussie. About 1 1/2 days in, am just repeating lesson 1 getting that pretty well covered and might try lesson 2 when kids go to bed. If our government has any say (South AUst) we will be same time zone as Eastern states soon enough anyway :grimacing:

Mick

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Mick. I agree, you guys really should be in the same time zone as us, it seems a bit pointless to have a half hour difference!

Thanks Karla. Good to be here and finally learning the language.
To be honest I would go half hour the opposite way. I get little enough sunlight by the time I get home in winter as it is haha.

1 Like