Halen Môn - Anglesey Sea Salt

Diolch Louis
Goede reis :smile:

Looking forward to Louis’ recipe also. Sauerkraut is supposed to be good for you, probably for many reasons but one is that it contains vitamin K2 which is supposed to help get the calcium we take in into the right places (i.e. bones and teeth) and not into soft tissue. Some cheeses also have it (I guess it’s the fermentation) and also the Japanese delicacy natto (which is an acquired taste, I gather). I don’t know where to buy natto (and I might not like it), but I know where to buy cabbage, so home made sauerkraut (which I like) sounds a winner. Might have tried to make it before, but I assumed you needed a special culture to start it off, but it sounds like you don’t, which is good.

Would a Kilner jar be ok as the airtight container?

That’s fascinating. He sounds charming. Bruno was also a charmer by all accounts, and an extrovert, e.g. doing “circus tricks” like balancing a walking stick on top of his foot, something he did even in old age crippled by Parkinsons. And the way Close describes him, Gil, Bruno’s eldest son who will lives in Russia and whom Close interviewed at length, also has the family charm.

I think you’d find the book (“Half Life” by Frank Close) interesting HD.
Close paints a fairly sympathetic picture of Bruno, spy or no spy, although does concede the damage done to some family members.

I looked up Ponte’s obituary and found it was lice, not ticks!! He died at 91 after a fall in the Alps while collecting fungi, which says everything about him!! I find it hard to believe Bruno was as nice.

I’ve just had my first taste of Halen Mon five minutes ago. Our son gave Maureen some Green & Black’s assorted choccies in a Mother’s day hamper. She kindly shared them out tonight and i got the Mlk Chocolate with Anglesey Sea Salt one - abolutely scrumpdelicious! :yum:

I’ve used Malden salt exclusively up to now but I’m strongly tempted to change - does it taste OK without chocolate? :wink:

I’ve never tasted it with chocolate, but it tastes fine to me without!! I also like the oak smoked salt.