Granddaughter

Thank you for all the wonderful responses to the topic of grand father.

I suppose the next obvious thing to ask is what endearing terms might grand parents use for grand daughters? All I have so far and call her is " Shorty" lol

A few staple ones:

Bach
Bychan
Pwti
And, wrth gwrs, cariad

I asked my fiancee and she said her Taid uses: lembo (stupid) :smile:

3 Likes

Twts

2 Likes

Popular in our house areā€¦
cyw (chick)
cyw bach (little chick)
blodyn, (flower)
blodyn tatws (potato flowerā€¦ yes this is actually a thing and sounds very endearing in Welshā€¦ :wink:)
cariad (love)
cariad bach (little love)
siwgr (sugar) - more popular when used with children than adults in Welsh
siwgr bach (little sugar)
siwgr candi (sugar candy)
del bach (pretty little one)
cacen (cakeā€¦ yes, yes, I knowā€¦ :wink:)

Hope this helpsā€¦ :wink:

8 Likes

One of my nans used to call me Pwdin (pudding).

6 Likes

trying to avoid sexual stereotypes, endearments like ā€˜pwdinā€™ appeal. I suppose, if you would never dream of calling a boy something, itā€™s best to avoid it for a girl and vise versa!

Although, lots of people said ā€œtiā€™n iawn boi?ā€ To my fianceeā€™s cousinā€™s little girl. ā€œBoiā€ is a unisex term of endearment in Welsh.

3 Likes

To be honest, I call Beuno all the endearments I quoted above, just as much as I use them for Angharad. Itā€™s a practice Iā€™ve found to be more common in Wales/Welsh than in English. The terms are simply viewed as terms of endearment and not particularly gender specific. The only objection you may face is from your six year old who may tell you not to call him blodyn, depending on his mood. :wink:

7 Likes

[quote=ā€œhenddraig, post:6, topic:9108ā€]
trying to avoid sexual stereotypes [/quote]
I disagree completely.

Should parents choosing babiesā€™ names restrict themselves to non gender specific names? If not, then why restrict terms of endearment? :confused:

no. oh dear, there has been so much lately - little kids raised to see boys as better, stronger, better leadersā€¦I cannot like that. Of course I donā€™t think all should have names like Hilary. Of course there are differences and that is good, but, and it is a big but, we really should be moving towards raising all children to be the best they can and not to see their sex or sexuality as defining limits. in the tv program Iā€™d just seen when I mentioned avoiding stereotypes, it was mentioned that young boys and girls are equally strong. I am sure they have the same range of intelligence. A teacher calling the girls, ā€˜loveā€™ and ā€˜flowerā€™ and the boys ā€˜mateā€™ had a huge effect. That is what I would like to prevent!

1 Like

Interesting cultural point and a very broad and deep subject that would be interesting to debate, but letā€™s keep this conversation about the affection between a grandfather and his grandchildren :slight_smile:

5 Likes

By all means but I thought it was about what grandchildren should be encouraged to call their grandparents and vise versa. It is a subject much considered over the years in my family as my Dad never referred to his step mother as anything but that, although he membled ā€˜Mumā€™ when addressing her. I called her ā€˜Granā€™ when obliged to address her as anything, and have never in my 75 years referred to her as anything but my step grandmother. My real Mam-gu died when my Dad was a boy, so I never met her, but I met a couple who had known her and I am sure she would have been a real Mam-gu who cwtched me! I am obliged to pronounce Mam-gu as Mam-gi because I canā€™t manage the Gogledd ā€˜uā€™!!

[quote=ā€œhenddraig, post:10, topic:9108ā€]oh dear, there has been so much lately [/quote] There is so much about so many things in the media. That does not necessarily mean it is all accurate. Much is agenda-driven twaddle.
We are agreed that children should be brought up/encouraged to achieve the best they can - regardless of gender. That is what both sides of my family have done, successfully, for at least four generations.

We disagree about the significance of terms of endearment. [quote=ā€œhenddraig, post:12, topic:9108ā€]
I am obliged to pronounce Mam-gu as Mam-gi because I canā€™t manage the Gogledd ā€˜uā€™!!
[/quote] What is the difference in pronunciation?
Dw iā€™n dod o Dde Cymru yn wreiddiol, ond fi wedi byw yn Llundain am 47 mlyneddd. Alla i ddim siarad Gymraeg ond dw iā€™n dysgu nawr. (Gwell hwyr na hwyrach.)

I posted these in another thread. Hope they help:

ā€¦

(see their other videos also).

Iā€™m a gog learner, but Iā€™m still not sure Iā€™ve totally mastered gog ā€œuā€.

4 Likes

Ah! Diolch, Mike. :thumbsup: