Grammar notes

But there is a SSIW Deep End course :thinking:

4 Likes

The Bath Book is not recommended for that one! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You would think so wouldnā€™t you! I believe that learning something so completely new has led my brain to enter a freeze zone. Thatā€™s my excuse! Thank you everyone. Iā€™ve enjoyed the humour very much x

2 Likes

Have a look at Welsh Rules by Heini Gruffudd published by Y Lolfa.
Its described as a Welsh Grammar for Learners.
It is well written and covers all the aspects of the language .
Brian Gillam

1 Like

Well at least that shows youā€™re cool :wink:

2 Likes

ā€¦and better late than never, can I highly recommend Gareth Kingā€™s ā€˜The Welsh Readerā€™ for those advanced learners out there. I hesitate before buying this as itā€™s eye wateringly expensive (sorry Gareth!), but if youā€™re serious about learning to any sort of standard itā€™s essential without a doubt. Iā€™m so glad I bought it, itā€™s been a great investment, which is making a noticeable difference to my Welsh, and to be fair, cheaper than a course! Thereā€™s learning in this book I really donā€™t think youā€™ll get anywhere else. Highly recommended (further down the line!)

5 Likes

Itā€™s on my birthday wish list - all my children are earning now! :smile:

3 Likes

You are absolutely right @chrome_angel, and I keep telling the publishers this myself - but unfortunately I donā€™t have any say in marketing or pricing. But I m so pleased that you shelled out anyway and are glad with your purchase! :slight_smile:

A small consolation with price is that you can sometimes find appreciable discounts on Amazon marketplace - i.e. private sellers.

4 Likes

I am happy to say I just managed to get a copy of A Comprehensive Welsh Grammar from Abebooks at a very reasonable price. Itā€™s full of someone elseā€™s marginal notes, but otherwise in perfect condition.

I know you donā€™t get any royalties from secondhand books. (Sorry Gareth! I did buy the Introductory Course newā€¦) But Iā€™m very happy to have got hold of this valuable resource at a price I could afford.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already had the royalites on any secondhand book the first time round, Catriona - so please donā€™t worry about that! What I want is lots of people reading (and hopefully enjoying) the books - because thatā€™s publicity! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can recommend without hesitation Huw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

itā€™s a great book Gareth, worth every penny, and the logical next step from your other books :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @chrome_angel - and it was particular fun to do, actually. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What we want, though, is a volume 2ā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I would love to do one after I have finished the book currently underway - please write to Routledge and tell them so! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oooo, and what is the book currently underway - (os na fydd rhaid i chi fy saethuā€¦)

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pssstā€¦one with ā€œa fair proportion of the content revolves round ā€˜thatā€™-clausesā€ was mentioned at some pointā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I cannot divulge too much at this stage, in case word gets out accidentally and some puny competitor tries to steal a march with an inferior and infinitely feebler imitation - but I can confirm that it will be different from anything that has gone before, and is already predicted by many commentators and pundits to be VERY LIKELY to increase the sum of human happiness on this planet.

Manuscript delivery deadline December, published maybe a year from now?

6 Likes

And we are supposed to wait a whole year??! :wink:

1 Like

Anticipation is always part of the thrill, Annaā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes