Gogledd a de the differences

I was just thinking, would it be worth doing an article or even better a podcast about the common differences between the spoken language in north and South Wales
This can be useful when listening to the radio for example where you get a mix of both dialects, or when going to the eisteddfod.
Also although I was born and bred in South Wales, as I learnt Welsh as a second language, a lot of what I was taught seems to have been stolen from the north Wales versions. For example if you listen to lesson 1 for both versions, I pronounce cymraeg as they do in the north wales version and the South Wales version seems odd to me. Also slightly different uses of the word eisau.
Also common words like nawr (de) rwan (gogledd) (showing people from north wales are a bit backwards :joy:Joking #banter)

Thoughts on a pinned topic/podcast?

1 Like

All of those, I know from personally finding the same, but because I learned a lot while in the north and because I had a gog teaching me in the south, who tried to teach ‘south’ and sometimes missed!!! :wink:
However, some of what you mention I think is @Iestyn’s dialect, his pronunciation which is specific to where he is from.
I honestly think we are actually a bit lucky, because we can catch to gog and de. If you find some things you feel you know, but are not as @Iestyn says, try the @aran version and you may well find he uses what you knew!
As for comparison lessons, wouldn’t it be better for most people to wait until they have learned as much as possible for their region and then offer a ‘how the other half speak’ lesson at the end?

3 Likes

It’s a bit of a minefield, because there’s really no such thing as a straightforward north/south divide - it various wildly all over the place, because it’s a less standardised language than English, for example - so while it would certainly make for an interesting series of podcasts, it looks a bit too endless for me to want to get stuck into it, personally!

In terms of learning - I think once you can maintain a conversation, you’ll naturally start to get more and more exposure to variations in the language, and while it can trip you up from time to time (they say what?!), it’s rarely a real block… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to add to this, once you get over the scary impression that you have to learn not a single language but several (an impression that turns out in the end to be false), the diversity in the spoken language becomes an absolute joy to experience. Before you know it you’ll be doing comedy Ynys Món and Abertawe accents at parties. :smile:

3 Likes

Strikes me as not really any different as how Victorians have ‘divvy vans’ and ‘devon’ whereas here we have paddy wagons and fritz. They aren’t words you use where you are from, but you understand and COULD use them if you so wished.

The whole ‘different dialects’ thingo I mean.

3 Likes

I think I agree. I would never say ‘medru’ for ‘can’, but I know what it means. I always say ‘mae ddrwg gen i’, but I understand ‘mae ddrwg da’fi’
Mmmm… it should be mae’n ddrwg, shouldn’t it? Dw’i ddraig ddrwg! :dragon_face:

3 Likes

I know Aran has signalled reluctance to get into the dialect business, but this is one SSiW challenge/lesson I’d really like to hear …:grin:

2 Likes