Gaby on Radio Wales today

It was quite a day for SSiWers on the radio today - Leia and I interviewed on Taro’r Post Radio Cymru, and Gaby on Radio Wales talking to Jason Mohammed - it starts at about 1 hour 40 minutes in. Da iawn Gaby!

1 Like

Leia starts talking at 37 minutes and Dee at 23 mins. Still want to hear more than three SSIWers on the radio on the same day though.

1 Like

It was very weird hearing Gaby speak English :wink:

I only heard your Kiwi/Ozzie English for the first time in Tresaith a few months ago. :smile:
I always assumed Gaby’s mellifluous tenor would make him sound like Placido Domingo talking English. Am I right?

1 Like

Yes, Gaby sounds mellifluous in any language. Now I really have to hear him speaking Chinese!!

2 Likes

Pretty soon they’ll have to give SSiW its own programme! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey! I had missed this on Taro’r Post today, great job Dee & Leia!!!

I definately believe SSiW should be alloted a weekly segment on Radio Cymru soon :smile:

Gaby

PS: I had to Google “mellifluous”… no idea what it meant

Hewrop likes to make sure we keep our extended English vocabulary in good shape as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah!!!

“Melifluo/a” = Que contiene miel o que tiene alguna de sus características. :honey_pot:
edit: Actually that’s not quite right - from its derivation, it’s more “which flows like honey or which has some of it’s characteristics.”
Corinne Bailey Rae’s voice is a good example and so, it appears, is Gaby’s

1 Like

One enjoys your mellifluous loquaciousness, Huw as we gambol…ebullient.

3 Likes

One must concur :smile:

1 Like

Is there any other Welsh learning method on the face of the earth with such a high proportion of learners coming out of it able to converse (about something other than the fact they’re a learner) on national media!

Welsh Gov should at once and immediately redirect the majority of the Welsh for Adults funding to SSIW in the interests of efficiency!

:wink:

3 Likes

Hard pressed to think of one.

1 Like

And presumably “mêl” is from the same Latin root.

Hey, I make that two, not one. :slight_smile:

A etymological dictionary of Old Welsh (by a researrch fellow in the Department of Welsh, Aberystwyth, for what it is worth!) gives “mel” as being straight from the Celtic and Indo-European, having cognates in Irish.

And though I don’t trust wikipedia more than anyone else, here’s a link to a page showing quite a few European languages taking a similar word from the original Indo-European-

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Indo-European/m�lid#Proto-Indo-European

Just because a word in Welsh looks like Latin, doesn’t mean it automatically comes from Latin! They can both be from earlier common ancestral languages - (or even, sometimes, the Latin can have borrowed it from the Celtic!)

1 Like

Another win for the forum! I’ve always told people that mêl is from the Latin, and yet, from GPC:

[H. Grn. mel, gl. mel, Crn. C. mel, H. Lyd. mel, gl. nectare, Llyd. Diw. mel, H. Wydd. mil, gen. melo, mela, Gwydd. Diw. mil: **< Clt. meli-, o’r gwr. IE. melit- ‘mêl’, cf. Llad. mel, Gr. μέλι; ?cf. e. prs. Gal. (Su)meli]

Celtic, *meli from the originola IndoEwropean *melit-. a mere cf to Latin and Greek, along with a potential link to the Gaullish personal name Sumeli… (He must have had a hard time in school…)

Once again, I am a learner. Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

Oh, yes, and to add my congratulations on the high standard of Leah’s and Dee’s Welsh (both of which I already know about), and the exceptional mellifluosity of Gaby’s English, which I have possibly heard before, but a long long time ago…

1 Like

This all makes me think of the Life of Brian - “What have the Romans ever done for us?” :wink:

This often-repeated desire to push the roots of Welsh as far back as possible into pre-history neglects the widely accepted fact that Indo-European and all other terrestrial languages are derived from Klingon. :smile:

1 Like