Fully funded PhD opportunity

These kind of opportunities don’t come along very often, so if you, or someone you know, would be interested in applying for a funded PhD opportunity to research the kind of language learning methods that SSi uses, don’t let this chance pass you by!

Here’s the beginning of the main research description:

The project aims to investigate a radically usage-based approach to the learning of second languages (L2s), including Welsh as an L2. This topic and the basic parameters of the project are given, but the precise details will be decided jointly by the student, supervisor and collaborating partner, SaySomethingin.

There is more information in the documents below, but the application has to be in by March 2020 so pass it on to anyone you know who might be interested.

ESRC_Studentship-en.pdf (211.4 KB)
ESRC_ysgoloriaeth_ymchwil_PhD-cy.pdf (241.7 KB)

9 Likes

Really looking forward to meeting whoever wins this… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

1 Like

Sorely tempted but not sure a life in Physics is the perfect background.
Good luck to whomever wins this.

4 Likes

That is absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

Wow. Does one need to live in Wales to be eligible?

I see. The student will be based at Cardiff. There is a Cardiff not too far from here, near Newcastle, NSW. Technicalities, I know.

3 Likes

This is honestly absolutely 100% up my alley (I am finishing my masters in bilingualism in September 2020 :smile:

Do you know who to contact about specifics for funding and eligibility? Is there any sort of compromise that can be reached with a strong candidate from the USA? :crossed_fingers:t3:

I think they are usually pretty strict on the residency requirements I’m afraid:

Full awards (fees plus maintenance stipend) are open to UK Nationals and EU students who can satisfy
UK residency requirements.

I looked into doing a PhD when I arrived from overseas and was told that I needed to be resident for 3 years before I could apply for funding, even though I’m a British citizen.

3 Likes

I think you’ve got a strong line of argument there… :wink: :heart:

@shaun - sorry, yeah, I think it’s super strict on the requirements - but Andy is the guy to contact to be entirely sure: BuerkiA@cardiff.ac.uk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love to do something like this, but alas my background is in computer science, not languages (as much as I love them). It looks like a wonderful opportunity for the right candidate though.

(Quite jealous now…)

2 Likes

Diolch Deborah! This looks like a fantastic opportunity. Will take a look at the information. Thanks for passing it on.

1 Like

Has anyone got a link to the English PDF, that I can use on my FB please?

Hi John - it is in Deborah’s original post…

1 Like

Thanks, Louis, I’ll try again, but it didn’t seem to work on FB. I was probably making an error in copying it.
It’s linking to this forum - I’m not sure if SSi will be happy for me to do that. I’ll hold back for now. I have the official Welsh link, so perhaps that’ll do the trick as the student will probably need to understand Welsh :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry John, that was an incorrect link - I’ll keep looking
This any good?

2 Likes

I’ll try it :slight_smile: Yes looks great thanks.

2 Likes

Cardiff? That reminds me of something that happened a few years ago, when a coach-load of Belgian supporters were making their way to a match in Cardiff (presumably an international, but I’m not a football fan, so the details elude me). They arrived there, but were quite unable to find the stadium. Hardly a surprise as they were, indeed, in Cardiff, England, and not Cardiff, Wales. (Many Belgians can’t get around the idea that Wales is not part of England and I spend a lot of time trying to explain the difference!)

3 Likes

I rest my case

5 Likes

Yup, you’ve definitely always been way out… :joy:

Yeah, you and me both, chief… :wink:

I kind of wish I had the nerve to try for this, but I’m sure whoever gets it will make a much better job of it than me :slightly_smiling_face:

Go for it! You’ve nothing to lose. I did my MA with that department at Cardiff Uni and I loved it there. Everyone was really supportive and it’s a great atmosphere.

1 Like