Fully funded PhD opportunity

Nah - my student days are well behind me!

1 Like

That reminds me of almost the opposite situation a few weeks ago when some Liverpool fans arrived in Gent rather than Genk, and indeed a story about a decade or so ago when a coach load of British shoppers arrived in Lille, Belgium rather than Lille, France, and by the time they got to the right one they only had 45 minutes to shop.

This looks really interesting, especially as part-time is also acceptable. I did my BA in Cardiff School of English, Communication and Philosophy about 20 years ago!

3 Likes

I’ve just read on the weekly e-mail that @Spaice02 is the successful PhD candidate.
I had the pleasure of meeting Susannah (a fellow Aberdeen graduate) at and after the last Aberteifi Clonc which was enough for me to judge that she will be an excellent PhD student.
Pob lwc / Gur math a thèid leat, Susannah :+1::clap:

5 Likes

Success with appointing a PhD candidate – exciting news!

We are delighted to announce that an appointment has been made and the successful candidate is Susannah Paice. By pure co-incidence, Susannah has herself learned Welsh with us, as well as having previously studied Scottish Gaelic in Scotland for 4 years, so she’s clearly the right woman for the job!

Susannah tells us that as soon as she saw the opportunity she knew she just had to apply, so she’s thrilled to have got the place. Susannah will spend her first year undertaking a Master’s in Research Methods, and then will embark on her PhD research in 2021. SSiW will be working in partnership with Dr Andy Buerki of Cardiff University to support Susannah’s research, so we’re looking forward to seeing what she discovers.

Susannah says

‘I am particularly looking forward to finding out about people’s real experiences with language learning and then applying that to research which will hopefully be useful to future learners. I would also love to take this opportunity to improve my own Welsh language skills along the way.’

The studentship is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and as those of you in UK universities will know, such studentships are incredibly rare - so kudos indeed to Susannah for her success.

Llongyfarchiadau! / Congratulations!

5 Likes

Thank you for your kind words - and for not judging my academic ability on my first deer-in-the-headlights attempts to speak Welsh (and thank you to the SSi team for providing the opportunity in the first place). I’m really excited to start working on the project once I’ve completed the Research Masters!

5 Likes

It was lovely to meet you in Aberteifi, though we did have to shout somewhat with the place being so busy so I didn’t get to talk to you as much as I would have liked to.
Enjoy your Masters year! I did that same research Masters myself back in 2008 at Cardiff Uni and it was one of the most enjoyable years of my life. I hope you have a great time too.

4 Likes