Festive greetings

To everyone on the Forum who celebrates or observes it:
Been a great Welsh year for me. I’ve survived the 6-Month course, finished the Levels and Courses, had Welsh conversations with new friends via Slack, started to understand bits of Radio Cymru, and ordered a snack at the Welsh cafe in Manchester!
Diolch yn fawr iawn to all who have helped me (and many others) with these achievements.

18 Likes

I no longer celebrate it in a religious sense, although members of my family and extended family do.

Nadolog Llawen i chi gyd a Blwyddyn Newydd dda! :slight_smile: :evergreen_tree::wine_glass::cocktail::christmas_tree::gift::balloon:

8 Likes

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb! Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) and a very happy and healthy New Year to everyone! :christmas_tree: :slight_smile: :tada: :fireworks:

I’m so grateful to @aran, @CatrinLliarJones, @Iestyn and Cat, and to this whole community - You have not only made my Welsh journey possible, but feel like my friends. All the best to all of you!

6 Likes

Nadolig llawen to you all.

7 Likes

Nadolig Llawen pawb

6 Likes

Nadolig Llawen! :christmas_tree:

8 Likes

Nadolig Llawen! :smile:

7 Likes

Nadolig llawen! :slightly_smiling_face:

And maybe it doesn’t make sanse but I enjoy the sound of it, so also…Buon Nadolig a tutti! :christmas_tree: :grinning:

7 Likes

Nadolig Llawen bawb :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Love the subtle mutation which I did not know before. Diolch, GarethKing.

Nadolig Llawen, bawb! :christmas_tree:

6 Likes

You’re welcome, @delawarejones. Vocative! :wink:

6 Likes

Nadolig llawen iawn i chi gyd! :heart: :star: :star2:

Ww… it’s almost 2019… which must mean almost 10th PARTY TIME… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

6 Likes

Could some tell me please, when do you use “i gyd” and when “pawb”?

1 Like

Sorry, someone!

I think i gyd is All and pawb is Everyone.

1 Like

This is how I understand the difference but you should know that I live in the United States and grew up listening to my Grandmother, who was from Tennessee, using phrases like ‘We us’ins’ and ‘You all (y’all).’

If I know the group of people I’m saying Merry Christmas to, I use ‘I chi gyd.’ In contrast, if the group consists of relative strangers, I use ‘pawb.’ That may not be the “Welsh way” but it is certainly consistent with my upbringing. :smile:

2 Likes

Thats a new one on me. It sounds slightly scouse or Scottish like Youse or yins. I also like young’ns.

1 Like

I think it is similar to ‘yins.’ in the sense of describing a group of people. The Southern “y’all” is the equivalent of the Scottish ‘yins,’ as I understand it.

We us’ins’ is a colloquial phrase to define a specific group of people performing some action together. For example, one could say, “We are going to the game.” Alternatively, “We us’ins is going to the game.”

1 Like

Pawb = everybody, i gyd = all.

Remember to place i gyd after the things it refers to:

y plant i gyd - all the children
chi i gyd - all of you

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you everyone.

1 Like