Events in Caerdydd 2024

Lots of you are learning Welsh in our capital city! And lots of events taking place in Welsh for you to get along to.

How about posting here if you hear of anything? And also if you’re planning to go along? You could get a regular SSiW social group going! :slightly_smiling_face:

Here are some events to get you started!

Firstly, something interesting to go to with your Welsh-speaking primary school aged children:

Join in the fun with the Mari Lwyd and celebrate Hen Galan yn Nghaerdydd

How about fine-tuning your listening skills with these free monthly talks over Zoom? You don’t even need to live in Caerdydd!

Did you have ‘increase fitness’ as an Addewid (resolution) this year? How about combining that with Welsh learning by doing yoga in Welsh?

This one’s tomorrow so you’ll need to be quick!

Diolch Deborah!

We’ve got the French nephews visiting at the end of February / beginning of March, and they’ll be with us in Cardiff on St David’s Day. I don’t suppose anyone knows if the parade will be happening, do they? Or where I could find out more information? We’d love to take them along to see it…

I guess keep an eye on this website: St David’s Day Parade in Cardiff (stdavidsday.org.uk) or contact them and ask if they have up-to-date information. At the moment it’s still showing last year.

Perfect! Diolch, Deborah! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An evening in the company of Dafydd Iwan!

Noson yng nghwmni Dafydd Iwan

Friday, 2 February

Noson yng nghwmni Dafydd Iwan

Ymunwch a Dafydd Iwan am noson o sgwrs a chan - paned a bara brith i ddilyn

Date and time

Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:00 - 21:00 GMT

Eglwys y Crwys

77 Richmond Road Cardiff CF24 3AR

About this event

• 2 hours

• Mobile eTicket - FREE if you register beforehand

Cost £5 wrth y drws i oedolion - plant am ddim

Cofrestrwch yma i fynegi diddordeb / Register to express interest

Bydd angen cofrestru er mwyn sicrhau lle a nodi sawl oedolyn a phlentyn sydd yn dod gyda chi / You need to register to secure a place and note how many adults and children will be with you.

Paned a bara brith i ddilyn / A cuppa and bara brith to follow

Organised by

Cerian Angharad

Physics Network Coordinator South Wales

To register, go to Menter Caerdydd

This is a free event, but you do need to book a place. The link to do that is below.

MAE GLANYRAFON YN DOD I’R CLWB CYMRAEG!

Mis yma, rydym am ddangos pennod o gyfres Rownd a Rownd - priodas Rhys a Trystan, dau gymeriad cwiar. Darlledwyd y bennod dros wyliau’r gaeaf.

This month, we want to show an episode of the series Rownd a Rownd - the wedding of Rhys and Trystan, two queer characters. The episode was broadcast during the winter holidays.

Heb wylio’r sioe o’r blaen? Dim problem – bydd crynodeb o ddigwyddiadau a chymeriadau perthnasol i’r bennod yn cael ei gyflwyno cyn i ni gychwyn! Bydd yna is-deitlau Saesneg trwy gydol y bennod hefyd.

Haven’t see the show before? No problem - there will be a summary of events and characters relevant to the episode presented before we start. There will be English subtitles throughout the episode too.

Ar ôl y bennod, byddwn yn aros o gwmpas y siop i drafod cynnwys y bennod a phethau eraill, i roi cyfle i chi defnyddio eich Gymraeg!

After the episode, we will stay around the shop to discuss the content of the episode and other things, to give you a chance to use your Welsh!

Book your free place here with Queer Emporium

A little about the Clwb Cymraeg

Unsure about LGBTQ+ terminology in Welsh? Keen to use it to better describe your identity and experiences?

Clwb Cymraeg is a new Welsh-language club, aiming to supply attendees with Welsh terminology for LGBTQ+ matters and encourage queer folks to use the language. Thirty minutes of learning, followed by informal chats that will hopefully encourage you to use your Welsh!

Welsh speakers of all proficiencies are welcome - to either or both parts of the evening!

We’re able to host this and all our other community events through The Queer Emporium Foundation with support and funding from The National Lottery Community Fund!

I have emailed them to confirm the location as it’s not super obvious on their website, but from a blog post it looks like the Royal Arcade.

1 Like

If the Clwb Cymraeg is happening in the Queer Emporium itself, yes - it’s on the corner of the Royal Arcade and St Mary’s Street. I’m delighted to see this going ahead - the convergence of Welsh language and LGBTQ+ communities is a particular interest of mine!

1 Like

A really great way to improve your Welsh is to take part in something you enjoy, but through the medium of Welsh. You learn by listening, watching and doing, all the time increasing your Welsh vocabulary and giving you a chance to actually use your Welsh in a natural way.

If you’re into gardening and you live in or near Caerdydd, here’s a great chance for you:

Did you take part in the RSPB Bird Watch count over the weekend? Did that whet your appetite to know more about birds in Cymraeg?

Here’s a great opportunity for those of you in the Caerdydd area:

If you’re interested in delving into your family history, this could be of interest to you:

1 Like

A great new opportunity for those of you in Caerdydd! A conversation group for “siaradwyr newydd” - new Welsh speakers - will be starting up in Radur (Radyr) on April 17th and will be held every Wednesday afternoon. It’s not for absolute beginners, but if you’re at the stage where you’re able to take part in simple conversations then go along and give it a try.