Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 2023 - Llŷn ac Eifionydd

Cymdeithas have just announced that, despite their efforts, they haven’t been able to clear camping this year. They have apologised to those who have been waiting for news.

If you’re attending the Eisteddfod, we’ve brand new SSiW badges for sale which you can wear to recognise each other on the Maes!

3 Likes

Diolch, I ordered one “wedi” for me. The projected shipping time of “9 to 18 working days after manufacturing” for the cheapest “slow” option made it seem like a possibility that the badge may not arrive on time, so I upgraded to the middle one. It’s not often you have to pay more for shipping than for the item itself :sweat_smile:

In other news, as of today there is more information about transport to and from the Maes available:
http://eisteddfod.cymru/cyrraedd-y-maes

In short, the way to the Maes is not a problem with the regular public service buses, even for morning stewarding sessions (@margaretnock ), and in the evenings they’ll have shuttle buses to Porthmadog (with some stops on the way), Nefyn and Caernarfon (ffiw!)

2 Likes

Just ordered my “wedi” badge (although I think a “dal” badge is more appropriate, I don’t think I can put learning into the past tense yet!) and I will be proudly displaying it when I’m there (which will be either Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday). Love to meet up with any fellow SSIW students who are there at the same time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @Hendrik. I’m still miffed that it was published less than a month before things actually begin, but that’s not your fault. It really would be useful to know before booking accommodation.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you! Easier to get me to come for a pint than a parkrun, though :wink:

3 Likes

Here’s the shuttle bus timetable!

And additional travel information:

http://eisteddfod.wales/getting-maes?_ga=2.78649044.1778947685.1689154132-617980800.1675677657

I took a punt being as far out as Caernarfon but looks like I’ll get away with it!

Bookable late night buses going back that far in additional to the shuttle and public buses.

1 Like

This is the first year I haven’t camped - either I’m Just Getting Old or I need a new camping mat but I was creaking considerably by the end of Tregaron!

From here out I camp yn the De where I canescape home for a night if needed and yn y Gogledd I court luxury!

4 Likes

Eisteddfod programmes now available at palas Print, Caernarfon

2 Likes

I rather love he process of putting circles around things I want to do and making A List.

I seldom FOLLOW it of course - but even so!

It’s like flicking through a catlogue when you’rena kid. Aspirational ! :smile:

4 Likes

Well, it looks like I’ll unexpectedly be at the Eisteddfod as I’ve been recruited to a brass band in the Sunday competition. I have no idea what my schedule for the day looks like, but maybe I’ll be able to bump into some people!

3 Likes

I’ve read through a lot of this thread and followed several links, but I’m still having difficulty figuring out how to get there from Bangor. Does anyone have the time or inclination to help? Mae’n ddrwg gen i, I’m not from around here and still have difficulty figuring out where stuff is.

www.traveline.cymru is your go to website. Off the top of my head it’ll be a bus from Bangor to Caernarfon, another to Pwllheli and then the shuttle to Boduan. Depends on the time of the day and the day of the week. Lots of other people will be doing the same journey and the drivers will point you in the right direction.

I have seen the bus schedules on traveline, they’re the same as on Google maps, but they don’t have shuttles on there, and someone else mentioned a booking from Caernarfon, I tried following a link for what I think may have been that, but the app didn’t work. There’s been a lot of talk here and elsewhere of options that exist for the week of only, but none of that is easy to find on traveline or anywhere else.

From Caernaerfon you’ll take the 12 Bus to Pwllheli, and then onwards with the 8 Bus or the Shuttle (which isn’t operated by Traveline, so it doesn’t show up on usual routing websites).

There will be a dedicated shuttle going from the Maes to Caernarfon at 11pm, but the site still says “more information to follow” as of now.

Here’s the link again with all the published information so far: Cyrraedd y Maes | Eisteddfod Genedlaethol

1 Like

Catrin posted three days ago a time table from Pwllheli to Nefyn via the Maes. The bus route 8 is the usual timetable while 8E are the extra buses for the week. There are additional, bookable, buses back to Caernarfon, Porthmadog and Nefyn at 23.00 (more info to follow, but of course it hasn’t actually been published). Arriving means using the public services from Bangor to Caernarfon to Pwllheli to Boduan, or any other service that an independent group such as a church, school, choir might have arranged, if they have seats still available.

I’m planning on mostly the Number 12s from Caernarfon-Pwllheli (buses Caernarfon-Bangor I remember as frequent enough you can prob safely turn up and wait.) Then the shuttles or the additional scheduled 8s.

Once at the which ever town or village is shuttle central eistrddfod goers are usually conspicuous and helpful!

Public buses back from Pwllheli to Caernarfon seem to peter out early evening so then there’s the bookable late bus which looks timed to fit with the evening-concert-plus-a-hasty-beer-tent-pint sort of idea.

Okay, I had read elsewhere about additional buses to/from Caernarfon, but they must have just meant the late night one. I saw something about it here and I thought someone might know something. My bad.

I am sure I have missed something on-line somewhere but I can’t seem to find what is going on at the Eisteddfod!! I am okay with the Pavilion and Ty Gwerin (thanks to Hendrik’s post) and can see from Siaron’s post that there is a Programme in the shop but is that programme comprehensive and it is on-line! I am trying to plan days when I go and days when I don’t.