Dysgwr y flwyddyn ... my wrap up

Can anyone explain why the skype set-up for this was so bad? Often, on Hwb, people would be interviewed via Skype and would be looking straight at the screen and be clear and loud!! What it was like for them, I can’t know, but if S4C can get it right, maybe the Eisteddfod judges should get S4C to set up the interviews for them? :smile: : It is totally unfair to open a competition to people who are completely disadvantaged by the technology!

Couldn’t agree more about SSIW and its potential to provide easier access to the language for all.

I genuinely believe that

I have no doubt that all contributions to the competition were valued and certainly not at all token. My apologies for omitting to mention above your own interview with Shan Cothi.

Please remember that the eisteddfod is substantially dependent upon unpaid volunteers who share our passion for the Welsh language. You should take the opportunity to meet some of the organisers of the competition when you visit the Maes in August and provide direct feedback about your frustrations. I am sure that you will feel very differently after speaking with them. There was no imperative fro the organisers to provide for Skype hook-up - they did so because they genuinely wanted to widen participation.

2 Likes

My opinion is they just didn’t mind too much about that as like "eh, technology isn’t my field of interest … " Bad technical conditions at otherwise great (or let’s say good) services often happen because of this reason and many are not even aware of that. That’s why Ithought it’s neccessary this to be told them in polite way.

This is the primary reason I haven’t been in a rush to write. Also, I might add, I have not expressed any of these thoughts outside of this forum. I have no desire to down cry the well deserved success of those who got through the final round. I will be working as a volunteer in Maes D. So, no doubt, I will get to meet a few people then.

I am sure the technological issues were budget related. I get that. I work in the public library service. Hwb wasn’t live, I presume? Just like a radio interview? Therefore they had the time and expertise to get it right. The eisteddfod interviewers were running almost an hour late by the time they got to me (bron hanner nos) and were certainly under the hammer.

Ultimately, it wouldn’t have affected the outcome. So, it’s not a big deal. I just need to build a bridge and get over it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, it was a live interview, but edited before it was broadcast. In my case, the camera was turned off at the Hwb end, so it was like a radio interview in that sense.

Oh, with telling what bothers you I didn’t mean to “attack” people there with what seamed not good for you (so that the things will be clear) but you know, if no one tells you what might be better, you might not know and do the same “mistake” over and over again. That’s maybe why I value honest response so much rather then getting some polite statements which don’t tell the reall situation.

When/if I’ll bring out the decision whether participate in such event (competition) or not I surely will get into considderation only one thing: do I know enough to be able to pair with all the others or not. At the moment I’m very much aware I do not and I know that a long and steep way is ahead of me to reach at least half of the mountain you already did.

Yes[quote=“louis, post:25, topic:2753”]
Well, it was a live interview, but edited before it was broadcast. In my case, the camera was turned off at the Hwb end, so it was like a radio interview in that sense.
[/quote]

Yes, it was the same with my radio interview - live, but not live to air.

1 Like

I had a HWB interview in 2012. It was definitely edited. They tried to set up the system so we could see each other while chatting. For whatever reason, the connection at their end wasn’t good, so I was talking to a blank screen. I’ve had the same thing happen when chatting to friends on Skype: sometimes it just doesn’t work right. When the interview aired on TV, it looked as though we were seeing each other: it’s the magic of television/film. I’ve done it in a couple mini-movie I’ve made.

2 Likes

I think we all agree that it’s time for a Learner of the Year “from overseas” award. It is a no- brainer that learners” that spend their daily lives in an environment where Welsh is naturally spoken will have an unfair advantage to those of us overseas not living our lives under such conditions.

It is true that tank to online resources available these days (singing praises to SSi!) and online radio we have a chance to grow up in the chosen language much more naturally and faster in the internet age than ever before. As this is a fairly new fact, it raises a lot of interest when natives of the country where the language is spoken listen to someone from the other end of the world speaking rather fluently, not having had the target language environment around him to support that growth.

But I don’t think the level of spoken language that such a learner can reach can (hardly?) ever match the level that can be reached by a competitor whose parents/partner/child speaks Welsh, or teaches! Welsh for a living, such as is the case with some of the finalists this year and in years past.

That said, this shouldn’t be a deterrent from competing, setting ourselves new goals and work hard to achieve them. The fascination of the journey is on the process of learning to me, and in feeling that I’m a bit better everyday.

Gaby

6 Likes

I’m not overseas and I can claim I have less Cymraeg on my table then you overseas have - zip, nada …I can’t meet even one single person in just a breath (with airplane) away from UK - in Slovenia and I believe I’m not the only one in Europe being in EXACTLY the same situation so I’d rather say “it’s time for one from abroad award” rather then overseas. More fair play though …

I don’t want to insult anyone here, especially not you from overseas but that’s the fact which can’t be denied. I just can’t afford to fly to Cymru to be a part of something Cymraeg related even once a year what every day so I’m in the exactly the same position as if I’d be overseas …

But, to make things clear, my goal is not any competition or showing my abilities (well rather disabilites in my case) of speaking language this way. I’d be the happiest person if one day, walking along “Three bridges” in Ljubljana I’d meet a Cymraeg speaking tourist who I’d be able to explain direction yn Cymraeg (more or less) fluently and even bigger happyness would be if that tourist would be one of you, dear SSIW-ers!

Umm … well, you never know … If you meet a greyhaired woman wearing red rucksack with WRU dragon tagged on it, then that’ll surely be me! :slight_smile:

Hwl!

3 Likes

Sorry I didn’t express myself correctly… What I meant by overseas learners Tatjana, was non-UK residents, over the Atlantic and over the North Sea as well. And I would probably add non-Wladfa to be fairer to the rest of us.

I live in Italy myself, also a 90 min airplane trip away from the UK.

Gaby

1 Like

Noswaith dda cymydog. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe, it’s time for people who’ve learnt, Gymraeg, as a second language to adjuticate…or have some input…

2 Likes

I put signature beneath this

The best stated!

In Australia we use the word ‘overseas’ for anyone not in Australia (and sometimes as a joke for Tasmanians - even though they are technically over one sea). We don’t use the term abroad at all. I would, on that basis, count Europe as overseas from Wales. In many respects, England could also be considered overseas (though there is no sea involved). I suspect some learners in parts of South Wales may feel the same way. :smile:

We had an email inviting feedback so I have sent mine.

I think input from learners has already been considered. Alison Layland, one of this year’s judges, was a learner.

4 Likes

I don’t know for the others, but I understood term “overseas” always the countries of America, Australia & related. I know UK is devided with sea from the rest of the Europe, but it’s just a bit too close to considder it “overseas” country. :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, it is. “Overseas” in English as used in the UK means just that although I confess I’ve never heard it being applied to the Republic of Ireland.

The Welsh “tramor” means the same but I can’t speak with any authority on its exact current usage.

One factor is that most international travel is now done by air rather than by sea which accounts for the fact that people here would more commonly say I’m going abroad rather that I’m going overseas whatever part of the world they’re going to.

As for Australia - “overseas” is exactly appropriate for every country (neglecting the obligatory leg-pulling of the Tazzies :smile: )

1 Like

"I’m told that people on the Isle of Wight [UK] refer to Britain as “The North Island”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may not then have heard the old joke about the (probably not all that apocryphal) news headline: “Fog in the Channel - Continent cut off”.

Plentiful travel opportunities not withstanding, we are still a bit “insular” over here.

1 Like

I gave my feedback regarding the Skype connection on Saturday along with a whole load of positives regarding general communication and helpfulness of the staff the eisteddfod office and how preparation for Dygwr y Flwyddyn preparation improved my Welsh. I had a very gracious reply thanking me for my feedback and telling me that they were not pleased with the Internet connection in Gregynog either. Catrin from the office said they will make it a priority when choosing a site next time. I believe she was genuinely grateful for the feedback and genuinely concerned to make things better in future. I think, for me, that means closure. :smile:

5 Likes