Dych chi or dych chi'n

hi all - I used dych chi’n in an exercise and it should have been dych chi- what is the difference please? Diolch!

Well, the only difference here is the (dis)appearance of the particle yn (shortened to 'n after a word ending in a vowel), but in my head most of the cases that I can think of would actually be with yn, so in order to tell you why it shouldn’t appear here I’d need to see the rest of the sentence.
Examples: Dych chi’n hoffi cwrw? - Do you like beer? (present tense, particle yn linking the conjugated form of to be with the verbnoun)
Dych chi wedi blino? - Are you tired? (Here the sentence is technically in the past, so we use wedi instead of yn)

hi - actually I think you used the exact sentence! Although I know “wedi blino” as tired I haven’t learnt anything about wedi itself- so I was confused why it wasn’t dych chi’n - then forgot what sentence it was! But no you’ve actually quoted the exact sentence I got wrong! Not sure how they thought I could get that correct if they haven’t mentioned the past tense yet- but thanks so much - it was baffling me! :grinning:

In most cases the pattern is “Dych chi’n…” followed by a verb, but not if it’s the past tense with “wedi”. So:

Dych chi wedi prynu… You have bought…
Dych chi wedi mynd… You have gone…

There are also a couple of verbs that don’t have the “yn”, for example “eisiau” and “angen”. But don’t worry, you will learn the patterns as they arise.

Not sure how they thought I could get that correct if they haven’t mentioned the past tense yet

Sometimes they throw in stuff you haven’t encountered before and so couldn’t possibly get on the first try. Don’t worry about it. Just remember that the challenges aren’t tests, they’re the learning process - there’s no need or expectation to get things right the first time. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thanks both! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sometimes it’s based on an earlier pattern as well so you can have the experience of spotting the similarity and applying it - a useful skill for when you’re in conversations.
Here you would have already had examples such as dw i’n mynd and dw i wedi bod yn from early in Level 1 - with dych chi’n and dych chi wedi it follows the same pattern :slight_smile:

1 Like