Dw i'n vs. Rwyn?

Helo pawb. (Hello All)

Dw i newydd ddechrau dysgu Gymraeg. Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu am dau wythnos. (I have just started learning Welsh. I have been learning for two weeks)

Dw i wedi cwestiwn? (I have a question?)

I’ve been trying out my Welsh on a couple of Welsh speaking friends in the South Wales area (Rhondda Valleys/Pontypridd sort of area) and I’m generally using ‘Dw i’…

Going well however I keep hitting a stumbling block with one particular friend who is absolutely convinced that I should not be using ‘Dw i’ and should instead be using ‘Rwyn’ and he either says I’m going totally wrong or I’m speaking like ‘a Northerner’

What I really want to know is… is my friend just being difficult or does he have a point?

I’m only up to Challenge 24 in Course 1 so I’m not sure if it’s just something that I haven’t run into yet.

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Haia Nicky. Honestly, I think your friend is just being difficult. I know lots of southerners who use ‘dwi’. It’s certainly not incorrect. Welsh is quite an idiosyncratic language because there are so many different ways to say the same thing, so just because one person prefers one form does not in any way mean that another is wrong. Just keep doing what you’re doing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Both are ok as far as I know, depending on how you want to shorten it. It will generally end up sounding like “Dween” or “Ween”, but sometimes the 'n is left off as was the case in your introduction.

2 Likes

Thanks both!

Big help.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. :blush:

3 Likes

Iestyn mentions in Lesson 0 of Course 2 that Dw i is not common amongst native speakers in the South. Rwy, Wy, Wi are more common forms. But use what you like. if your friend is really a friend, he’ll get over it. :wink:

4 Likes

Does your friend have a melt down when people speaking English say “should’ve” and pronounce it “should of” instead of “should have”?

It’s in the same category of moan :wink:

5 Likes

Diolch Craig.

I’m still probably a day or two off that lesson so thanks for the early heads up!

Shwmae Nicky, a chroeso i’r fforwm!

If you’re following the new levels, chances are you won’t come across this lesson at all (just yet), as Lesson 0 is in fact in the old course. However, I actually don’t see any reason why you can’t have a listen to this lesson once you have completed Level 1 before starting Level 2, as it will give you at least a small insight into some of the significant dialectual differences we have in the south. The only thing is, you won’t really get to practice them in the new levels as they haven’t been included into the new course as of yet, whereas old course 2 implements their use throughout the rest of courses 2 and 3.

If anything, your friend may just be helping you to sound more like a local by suggesting you use Rwyn instead of Dw i’n, but use whichever you feel most comfortable with, as neither are wrong!

Best of luck with the rest of the course.
Gav :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks All.

This has helped greatly.

This person, whilst very annoying, makes up something like 33% of my potential Welsh speaking partners - so I’m stuck with the guy!! :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve made it a lot clearer - and I’m now confident that if I use Dw i’n in the big wide world - I won’t get laughed at!

2 Likes

Croeso @Nicky You are doing very, very well and progressing very quickly! You caused me to learn something! My Welsh has come from both north (gogledd) and south (de) and I get them confused, When I saw your header, I thought, “Oh, north v south again!” Yes, but I’d got them backwards! Because Dafydd Iwan sings, “Ry’n ni yma o hyd!” I was convinced ‘R’ was gog and ‘D’ was de!!
NB @aran actually prefers English on the Forum so that beginners are not put off by a sea of Cymraeg and so that everyone can understand when most have limited reading and little idea how to spell yn Gymraeg! If you want to practice typing in Welsh, he would like translations in English in brackets, I think, except for things that everybody knows like Croeso and Hwyl etc…

6 Likes

Is that really what he sings? I always hear it as “Y’n ni yma o hyd” but that’s because that’s what I’ve learnt to say from SSiW, so a case of hearing what I expect to hear, and I’m sure a lot of people do that.

Actually - with dw i’n - I used that in writing Welsh when I first started and I wrote it in an email to a first language speaker, who for ages after that referred to me as “the lady who says dwi”. I ignored him and carried on regardless and he’s come down from his high horse now.

4 Likes

I think I hear the R sometimes, and hear it as getting elided sometimes… :slight_smile:

I thought I heard r and if you look up the lyrics, ‘ry’n ni’ is what it says.

1 Like

If you asked my kids they would tell you I’m renowned for singing what I THINK the lyrics are rather than what they really are. This is a very small difference, believe me :grin:

I know, I know!! It didn’t bother me, it just made me think “Ri” was gog!!
I only looked the lyrics up so I could learn it more easily - in the days when had enough breath to sing, not that I could ever sing!
My terrible singing was the entire point of one sketch we did in the Village Review one year!

1 Like

I more often than not get lyrics wrong, even in English. For years, I was convinced that Jimmy Hendrix was singing: “Scuse me, while I kiss this guy”. That would have been quite daring in 1967, swinging sixties or not.

4 Likes

I know nothing about popular music. Please what was he actually singing? @mikeellwood

Ah, sorry. It was “'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky”
(From “Purple Haze”: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Haze )

2 Likes

I would have believed your version! Kissing the sky isn’t something I’ve gone in for!