Disgwyl meaning

Good evening (noswaith da),please help,regarding the word disgwyl,I’m currently on level 2 challenge 1,in the challenge disgwyl is referred to as" maen nhw’n disgwyl" they look.
In Pembrokshire when I connect through the medium of Welsh,people don’t recognise disgwyl in the context that is given in the challenge.
I also read and use the book Welsh in 12 weeks
by Julie and Phylip Brake,where they say disgwyl as expect.
I’d love your help in confirming its meaning.
Diolch yn fawr. Andrew

1 Like

I’ve also heard various meanings. Good question

disgwyl has several meanings, many of which are also covered by other verbs.
to expect
to look
to watch
to wait
to await
who uses which and where does vary - you’ll hear it used as ‘to look’ more in the South than the North, but that’s not to say everywhere in the South uses it that way.

1 Like

The old South Course 2, used disgwyl for to look. Lesson 8 by my notes. Note it means to look as in to look at or glance at, not in the sense of to search for.

1 Like

Does disgwyl mean the same as aros. I have used aros for to wait and to stay but North Wales has disgwyl for to wait. Any views. Nigel

1 Like

Disgwyl - like aros - can mean to wait, but it’s more in a sense of to wait with expectation. But there’s no problem using aros for to wait in north Wales :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here in North Wales well Llithfaen Pwllheli if a woman said Dw i’n disgwyl even if she didn’t add the word babi people would assume she had said she was pregnant! An easy mistake to make with hilarious repercussions as the whole village thought I was pregnant when I was trying to say that I was also waiting for the bus! People started asking when was I due as I wasn’t showing yet. It took a while to find out how the rumour started and to put people right. Use with caution lol.

5 Likes