Did anyone else experience this?

Hello everyone, hope you are all well. I have been slowly making my way through week 1 and 2 and found week 2 quite hard going (a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights!) I found that the longer the sentences were getting, the more I struggled and the longer the pause button was on for and sometimes my mind just went totally blank!
Has this happened to anyone else and if so is there any advice you could give me?
Also, at what point is a good time to start practicing speaking with others?

Thanks Laura

Welcome to the course Laura :slight_smile:

What you’re experiencing is very common, so don’t worry! One of the main ‘tricks’ is not to feel you have to get every word right every time. The longer sentences seem challenging to begin with, but if you can try to do without the pause button as much as possible (easier said than done, I know) and just get as much as you can out - even if you have to ‘guess’ what the words should be - it will help in the long term. It’s best not to go over and over each challenge - resist the temptation to do it ad nauseum until you’re repeating off by heart, because ‘parrot fashion’ is not how this method works. You can always go back to a challenge once you’re further through the course, and people are usually surprised how something they thought impossible suddenly comes out without too much effort.

As for when to start practising speaking with others, the answer is absolutely as soon as possible! Yes, there are going to be things you don’t know how to say, and yes there are going to be things you hear that you haven’t come across yet, but don’t worry about those. Use whatever you can, and if you have to throw an English word in every so often, do it and get back to Welsh as soon as you can. Speaking is as much (if not more) to do with confidence as with vocabulary, so the sooner you start, the more confidence you can build and it’s much less of a barrier than if you leave it until you think you “know enough”.

Keep going - you’ve got this!

1 Like

Hi Siaron, thank you very much for your reply. Not using the pause button as frequently has become a lot easier but I will totally take on board what you said and especially about speaking and gaining confidence to speak in Welsh. I think I did go back to week 1 a few times just ‘in case’ I thought something hadn’t sunk in. But you’re right, I was surprised what I knew which I didn’t think I did! Thanks again, I think it’s good to just get some reassurance :blush:

1 Like

Everything you’ve covered so far will continue to pop up in future challenges as well, so anything you didn’t quite pin down the first time it came up will still get plenty more chances!

The method takes a little bit of adjusting to, because this isn’t how languages are usually taught. Once you start to get used to it, it does get easier.

1 Like

Thanks Alan, good to hear it gets easier! But I’m really enjoying the challenge. Bring on week 3 :slight_smile: