Correct order of words

I’m having a sign made as a housewarming gift, but I’m confused as to the correct order of the words I want. I am using an online translator, but I get two different translations. -

If I say “our forever home” it’s “ein cartref am byth.”

If I say “Our forever home” (with Our capitalized) it’s “Ein am byth cartref.”

Which one is the more accepted translation?

Might the adjective “eternal” be easier?

In which case, there seem to be two possibilities:

bythol

and

tragwyddol

http://www.gweiadur.com/en/Pawb/$eternal

So, e.g. “Ein cartref tragwyddol” ?

On the other hand, your first one, to me, reads as “Our home for ever”, which actually has a nice ring to it.

I’m not sure if the 2nd one sounds correct. (Better ask an expert… :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

What about Ein Cartref am byth. Like the saying. Cymru am byth ?
Interesting

3 Likes

Even simpler although slightly different would by - Tŷ ni, our house

2 Likes

Don’t. :blush:

The phrase you want translated is quite unusual, with its expression in English being somewhat unusual, so simply ask someone who speaks Welsh fluently, or at least speaks Welsh better than me to give you an answer. I’m sure they will be along soon :blush:

4 Likes

Just to say that all the replies before mine were, in my view, marvellous!

Edit- @mikeellwood, I’m certainly no expert, but “ein cartref tragwyddol” summons up images of the grave (or, more happily, heaven) to me, so I think your suspicions may be correct! And my vote is with you on “ein cartref am byth”. But as you say, better ask an expert for this!

4 Likes

Yes, very much so! :sunny:

You could get away with ‘Ein cartref bythol’ or ‘Ein cartref am byth’ - is that the only phrase on the sign?

1 Like

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Yes, this will be the only phrase on the sign.

1 Like

My in-laws’ house was called “Dyma ni” which I thought was quite nice.
(This was in England, but they had moved there from Wales).

1 Like

I always wanted a little cottage called, yn gymraeg, ‘the home of my heart’ I got a liitle cottage in English speaking Gower and it would have been totally pretentious and out of place to call it anything so fancy in any language. ‘Cae Mor’ or ‘Devon View’ were the sort of names one had to have!! Where we live now in Scotland, anything but a number would be out of place!!
So, I never got my wish, but @aran, would "Gartre’nghalon’ have been an acceptable contraction as a name???

You’d need it to be ‘Cartre’nghalon’ (not G) - otherwise, all I can say is that it would be a pretty unusual neologism (to make it one word) but nothing technically wrong about it… :sunny:

Diolch. but wouldn’t that be ‘a home’? I want the home, so do I have to say, “Y Garte Fy’nhalon’i” or something like that? How much joining up to make a name can one do?? Not that I’m ever likely to be able to use it!!!

Nope. The definite article is implied in that kind of possessive construct - so in Welsh ‘home of my heart’ and ‘the home of my heart’ are the same - cartref fy nghalon. :sunny:

Diolch rn fawr iawn!! Bydd i’n cofio hwn!

1 Like