Changing username

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

diolch yn fawr.

A little bit of anonymity isn’t a bad thing :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder whether it is too late to ever drop my silly name, which I never in a million years expected to spill over into real life in the way it did…
Not sure it’s worth it now!

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing really!
I’ve used my username for almost everything since I joined the World Wide Web back in 2003, and still use it for most things now - including forums.
But SSiW is more than just a forum, it’s a community. And I feel a more suitable name that identifies me as me should be used now. Trouble is, there are a few Gavins and Gavs here on the forum already, and I wouldn’t want people to get confused as to which one they’re talking to!
What do you all think? Should I stick with Faithless78 or find a new name where my name Is used??

1 Like

I’m not sure. It would be brilliant if you could use your name as I found strange sometimes when refering to you typing name faithless78 and thankfully enough Discourse software is made as such that it shows all (well mostly all) usernames beginning with the same names/letters.

However, on the other hand, your name is so famous by now it would maybe confuse (especially “old”) members if you’d change it now.

Deceision is yours of course …

(I am quite more fortunate as there’s only me “tatjana” on here and there are no "tatiana(s) at all.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gavinthebus? or GavinBarri?

4 Likes

Hmmm… :confused:

Hmm, well there’s always the ‘double-barrelled’ option I guess. (I think owainlurch added the Owain bit when the forum migrated, if I remember rightly.)

GavinTheFaithless?
GavTheFaithless?

I like how in Wales names so often get shortened to one syllable. I’d never been Son (for Sonia) to anyone except a couple of school friends, but here it seems to be anyone’s property… SonMouse? (Actually, that sounds just as silly!)

1 Like

son-net…clearly poetry is a theme for me at the moment.

2 Likes

Oh dear! Will have to think about it. (Any way of getting cynghanedd into it? :slight_smile:)

Hmm … why “netmouse” in the first place? Were you addicted to Internet? :slight_smile:

When forum opened I was “TatjanaPrelogKnightg”(host didn’t fit - too long) and this name was really annoying. So instead of changing it to “KnightGhost” what is common name on almost all places on the net I’ve occupied I rather changed to “tatjana” simply because I didn’t expect any would be Tatjana here. Why KnightGhost elswhere else (on Trello too)? This is long and rather quite sad story which belong to one another ancient time of my life and which fortunately ended (more or less) happily in this life after all. And, yes, it has to do with forums, net (occupation) gaming and what’s more to it. That’s why I’m so grateful I can be here. I never (except on Knight Nui) encountered such friendly and alive forum community.

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi bawb! (eto ac eto ac eto …)

I hadn’t had a lot to do with Internet forums before this, to be honest. Netmouse was something pretty random I’d used on Adobe forums for work I think so I just recycled it. (My husband sometimes calls me Maus, in German, which has a slightly different ring to it to mouse in English…)

1 Like

Well, the faithless78 username had a number of meanings to me:-

1. ‘Faithless’ is one of my favourite bands of all time - even now their music brings me much joy when I listen to it.
  2. It also denotes my “not quite Atheist, but don’t really know what I actually believe in” attitude to religion.
  3. ‘78’ represents the position my initials appear in the (English) alphabet (G and H).
  4. It also represent the year I was born!
    I should imagine I will continue using it for many years yet, but on here I would like to change it so my actual name appears.

There is one I could use - since I moved to Barry, a friend of mine who lives here has since called me “Gavlaaa” (a quote from a popular BBC comedy series set right here in Barry)! I do actually use this in my Twitter handle, amongst other things.

For those who are unfamiliar with this (I’m sure there won’t be many who are unfamiliar) Barry, South Wales, was the setting for a well known comedy series called ‘Gavin and Stacey’. Gavin, from Billericay in Essex, starts a romance with Stacey from Barry over the phone and they both arrange to meet in London, which is where their relationship blossomed. Gavin’s best friend, Smithy, often refers to Gavin as “Gavlar”, but always lengthens the “laaa” bit at the end. So there’s the connection, although I’m not from Billericay in Essex, but I was originally living in Maidstone in Kent. However, I have now moved to Barry to live, although sadly not for a “Stacey”!!

So, what does everyone think of “Gavlaaa” as a possible replacement for my current username??

1 Like

Wow, @faithless78 certainly has some thought behind it - impressed!

However, [quote=“faithless78, post:34, topic:5566”]
Gavlaaa
[/quote]
I like it!

For some reason though I’m not sure if I want to change mine now, which has very little thought behind it. Wierd.

1 Like

Sounds good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems fine. I never really watched G&S, I suppose that Gav doesn’t drive a bus?
To @netmouse I was always Jac, but it doesn’t work for all names, I think. Hywel? Maldwyn? - more likely Wyn in that case, I think. I doubt I’d call @aran ‘Ar’ or @Iestyn 'Ies;!!

2 Likes

How about Dave Coaches (or Gaf Coaches) - he was in gavin and stacey and a prominent Welsh Actor as well (Steffan Rhodri). One of those funny bits in G&S was when Dave Coaches and Nessa (Ruth Jones) were whinging in broad Cardiff accents about those bloody welshies in the next caravan - funny when you know that Steffan Rhodri is actually one of those bloody welshies himself.

1 Like

Ok, so I’ve had a little think about this, and these are the possible usernames I could use:-
• gavlaaa
• GavHumphreys
or just keep
• faithless78

I’m going to put this to a poll! What does everyone else think I should change to (or not)??

faithless78