Casual Cooish - a topic to practice Manx, open to all!

Vel peiagh ennagh dy vel gearree cliaghtey gaelg? She tim mish, as by vie lhiam cliaghtey gaelg (loayrt ny screeu).

1 Like

Sorry. What?

Mish - cha nel monney Gaelg aym, agh ta sym aym er lhaih (as, foddee, prowal screeu) beggan er y forum shoh (ny ayns boayl elley)…

(No idea how much sense that makes - I don’t know much, sorry! @hewrop, it’s Manx and @Watles84 here was wondering if anyone was interested! :slight_smile: )

Thanks, @Kinetic :smile:
@Watles84 There has been considerable interest in Manx expressed already _w_hich you should find by using the site’s search facility.
There is a general forum policy that posts should either be in English or a translation provided. In this case, you’d get a wider response by posting your question to more than existing Manx speakers.
I hope you find some fellow enthusiasts including @aran who, I believe, has broadcast in the Manx language. :smile:

Edited now I’m back home from holiday in the Gaelic speaking Hebrides with access to an actual keyboard … being sober helps, too. :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Watles84 - as Huw said, we encourage people to stick to English here so that even ‘just about to start’ beginners feel included and welcome - although we’re always happy to see a practice thread for each language when there are enough users to contribute to it… :slight_smile:

oh, ok cool. Thought I’d give it a shot! I’m very new too (on lesson 10 on the first level). Wanted to see if anyone wanted just a casual cooish (#cc) in gaelg on the messages boards :slight_smile: Like “how are you”, “I am good and how are you” , “I am good too. I have a book”, etc etc etc, to get the olllllll’ language muscles moving :+1:

2 Likes

[I changed the topic title. Starting a thread to practice Manx if any one is interested (?). Initiating Gaelg in three, two, one]

Hello! Kys ta shiu? She tim mish.

3 Likes

Might try and join you in here from time to time after another couple of intensive learning days… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fastyr mie! Kys ta shiu? Cha nel mee ayns Mannin, ta mee ayns Lunnin ec y traa t’ayn, agh s’mie lhiam yn Ellan. (Noddym gra “s’feer vie lhiam”? Cha nel mee shickyr.) Cha nel eh ceau fliaghey ayns shoh, agh t’eh beggan feayr.

Good afternoon! How are you? I’m not in Mannin, I’m in London at the moment, but I like the Island. (Can I say “s’feer vie lhiam” [for “I really like”]? I’m not sure.) It’s not raining here, but it is a bit cold.

2 Likes

Kys ta shiu! @Kinetic @AnCruiscinLan

S’mie lhiam Lunnin. Ta’n boayl feer vie. Cha nel mee er ve dys yn V&A, agh by vie lhiam goll. Ta mee er ve dys y Tate as y Tate Britain. S’mie lhiam Turner as Blake. S’mie lhiam goll dys ny thieyn-bee. Share lhiam burritos! As uss? Cre’n sorch dy vee share lhiat?

I like London. It’s a very nice place. I have not been to the V&A, but I would like to go. I have been to the Tate and the Tate Britain. I like Turner and Blake. I like to go to restaurants. I prefer burritos! And you? What kind of food do you like?

3 Likes

Some great Gaelg here…yindyssagh. Please feel free to contact me adrian@culturevannin.im if you want more help on the Manx front.

3 Likes

Yn Cheen! Shen symoil! Craad v’ou cummal ayns yn Cheen? Cha nel me er ve dys yn Cheen. By vie lhiam goll dys Xian, ny Beijing, foddee Manchuria. Ta bee Sheenagh blasstal dy lioaar. S’mie lhiat Tsingtao?

Gura mie ayd! S’mie lhiam memes! T’ad cur orrym gearey :smile: As kys ta mee gra “Game of Thrones” ayns gaelg, foddee “Cloie ny Reeaghyn” (?)

China! That’s interesting! Where in China did you live? I have not been to China. I would like to go to Xian, or Beijing, maybe Manchuria. Chinese food is pretty tasty. Do you like Tsingtao?

Thanks! I like memes. They make me laugh. And how do I say "Game of Thrones in gaelg, maybe “Cloie ny Reeaghyn” (?)

1 Like

Feer vie! Shen symoil. Cha nel mee gui Tsingtao, cha mie lhiam. Agh s’mie lhiam lhune. As vel gaal-baarnee ayns Nerin (as Mannin) nish? Ren mee clashtyn dy row eh mooar.

Foddee ayns gealg, ‘Cloie ny Crooinney’? Ta mee er nyannoo meme elley :smile: shoh. Shen topic “Game of Thrones ayns gaelg” nish :laughing:

Very good! That’s interesting. I don’t drink Tsintao, I don’t like it. But I like beer. And is there a hurricane in Ireland (and Mannin) now? I heard it was big

Maybe in gaelg “Game of Crowns”? I have made another meme. This topic is “Game of Thrones in Gaelg” now lololol

1 Like

O va’n gaal-baarnee ayns Nerin feer olk agh er lhiam dy row eh ny sloo olk er yn Ellan Vannin.
Ren oo jeeaghyn er y claare çhellveeish 'Stranger Things er Netflix? Foddee ayns Gaelg ‘Reddyn Ny Smoo Quaagh’? T’eh ny smoo tappee as asshagh dy ghra ayns Baarle!

Row Halloween mie ayd? Row ram trick-or-treaters ec dty thie? Va mee ayns Nerin agh va mee sheese er y çheer ec thie my phaarantyn myr shen cha row trick-or-treaters aym erbee! Va mee mollit er y fa dy ren mee cookies son nyn!

Oh the hurricane in Ireland was very bad but I think it was less bad on the Isle of Man.
Did you watch the tv show ‘Stranger Things’ on Netflix? Maybe in Manx it’s ‘Reddyn Ny Smoo Quaagh’? It’s quicker and easier to say in English!
Did you have a good Halloween? Did you have a lot of trick-or-treaters at your house? I was in Ireland but I was down the country at my parents house so I had no trick-or-treaters at all. I was disappointed because I made cookies for them!

2 Likes

She, she, ta mee jeeaghyn er “Stranger Things.” Ta feer vie! S’mie lhiam y chiaull. S’mie lhiam “Reddyn Ny Smoo Quaagh” :smile: Foddee “Quoi Shoh” ny “Shoh ta’n Oie” :ghost:

Va Halloween mie aym. Ren me gee ram miljyn. As ren mee jeeaghyn er “Stranger Things.” Cha nel trick-or-treaters ec my hie. Ta mee cummal er cronk mooar as cha nod ad shooyl shoh! Ta mee baghey ayns San Francisco, as ta mooarane crink shoh. Cre’n aught va cookies ayd? Blasstal?

Yeah! I watch Stranger Things. Its very good. I like the music. I like “Reddyn Ny Smoo Quaagh”. Maybe “Who’s Here” or “This is the Night”

I had a good Halloween. I ate lots of candy. And I watched Stranger Things. I didn’t have any tricker or treaters at my house. I live on a big hill and they can’t walk here. I live in San Francisco, and there are lots of hills here. How were your cookies? Tasty?

2 Likes

Sorry to go off-topic slightly - but I’d love to hear the back story of why someone in San Francisco is learning Manx… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@aran Feysht vie! :smiley: Ta’n lught-thie aym veih yn ellan. Agh ta shin cummal ayns ny Steatyn nish, as hie mee sheear dys San Francisco! Ta mee cummal shoh ec y traa t’ayn, as gynsagh gaelg :smile:. Agh cha noddym feddyn Gaelgyr shoh! Ta mee foast ronsee! Nish, ta mee cliaghtey rish yn moddey aym :grin: agh cha nel gaelg mie echey.

As ta’n eymshyr shoh feer gheayagh. Ta kay dy-liooar. Agh cha nel eh ro olk. S’mie lhiam y kay. Ta’n ennym er Karl :smiley:. Ta shen cur orrym gearey.

Great question! My family is from the Island. We live in the states now, and I went west to San Francisco. I live here at the moment and learn Manx. I cannot find a manx speaker here! I am still searching! Now, I practice with my dog, but his Manx is not good.

And the weather here is windy. There is a lot of fog. But it’s not so bad. I like the fog. His name is Karl. That makes me laugh.

3 Likes

How interesting - thank you! How old were you when your family moved? Or were you born over there? [Sorry for my lack of Manx - I’ve only had time to do two days so far… :slight_smile: ]

2 Likes

:+1::+1: Shea dty vea! Va mee feer veg. Haink mee dys ny Steatyn bleeantyn er-dy-henney. She feer vie t’ayn :slight_smile:. Ta’n shiaghtin shoh Thanksgiving. Ta mee goll gee ram kellog-frangagh (I just look up this word its ‘french rooster’! :joy:) as jeeaghyn er y bluckan coshey Americaanagh.

You’re welcome! I was very little. I came to the States years ago. It’s very nice. This week is Thanksgiving. I’m going to eat a lot of turkey and watch American football.

1 Like

Ta shen feer symoil! Kys t’ou gynsagh Gaelg? Vel peiagh erbee elley ta loayrt Gaelg syns SF? S’doillee lhiam dy loayrt Gaelg as ta mee cummal er yn Ellan Vannin!

That’s very interesting! How to you learn Manx? Is there anyone else who speaks Manx in SF? It’s difficult for me to speak Manx and I live on the Isle of Man!

2 Likes