Casual Cooish - a topic to practice Manx, open to all!

Kys ta mee gynsagh Gaelg? Ta mee gynsagh dy moal ee! :joy: Agh ta mee lhaih lioaryn. As ta mee clashtyn (?) dys SSi as podcast. Ta mee gimman dagh laa dys yn obbyr aym. Ta traa dy-liooar aym. Er lhiam nagh vel peiagh erbee ta loaryt Gaelg ayns San Francisco. Agh ta mee foast ronsee! As uss-hene, kys t’ou gynsagh Gaelg? Vel oo cliaghtey ee dy mennick?

How do I learn Gaelg? I learn it very slowly. lolololol. But I read books. And I listen (?) to SSi and podcasts. I drive to my job everyday. I have a lot of time. I don’t think there is anyone who speaks Gaelg in SF. But I am still searching! And you, how do you learn Gaelg. Do you practice it often?

3 Likes

Ta mee jus goaill toshiaght lessoon jees! Hooin roin!

I just started lesson 2! Lets go!

3 Likes

My-e-chione ‘Cloie ny Troynyn’ --foddee–? Ren mee shirrey enmyn ny Troynyn ayns Gaelg. Ayns yn fockleyr --tlReader-- liorish Phil Kelly. Cloie beggan quaagh er lhiam, agh cliaghtey mie.
Cre heeilys oo?:
aegan = slender youth; arrys = regret; bran = blackness of soul, sorrow; baillish = he would wish; gilley = brighter whiter; jeor = limit; joarey = boundary, joaree = foreigner, joareeagh = banish; lann = enclosure, habitation, lannoon = twins; lhiann = adhere to, lhiannan = mistress, lover;
varrys–shall kill, will kill.

Regarding ‘Game of Thrones’ I searched ‘names of Thrones’ in Manx Gaelic in the tlReader by Phil Kelly. A pastime that is a little odd I suppose, but good practice.

What do you think?:
aegan = slender youth; arrys = regret; bran = blackness of soul, sorrow; baillish = he would wish; gilley = brighter, whiter; jeor = limit; joarey = boundary, joaree = foreigner, joareeagh = banish; lann = enclosure, habitation, lannoon = twins; lhiann = adhere to, lhiannan = mistress, lover;
varrys–shall kill, will kill.

I can say only 1 sentence of the first lesson so sorry, not writing in Manx, but in the context of quote above … @aran why not open Slack WSP for practicing other languages too, if not them all then at least for Celtic languages? This idea ripes in me for a while already and I just grabbed the opportunity to mention it here just right now. What do you think?

On the topic! I like these practice topics and it could be of other languages also. For now I’m not too skilled in any of them to participate but I’d love to in the future.

Best wishes!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

I don’t speak Manx, but I wanted to ask if you’d mind, @Watles84, if I stole this idea for a Cornish version of this thread?

@tatjana That is such a good idea! Please, @aran, can we have a Celtic Languages practice Slack so we can all practice some Manx and Cornish and so on?

2 Likes

I’ve actually got the idea that we’d use the same Slack network just having Celtic own channel or maybe each language could have its own channel but WSP would be renamed to just SP (Speaking practice) or maybe SPC (Speaking Practice Community). Well, this is also one of ideas too.

I strongly believe this could be borrowed for having some practice in whatever language one learns. The more SSiLanguages comes out the more Speaking practice topics or even deviding “Other languages” to the General/Questions and Speaking Practice which wouldn’t be restricted to any language but maybe the topics should be limited to only one for each desired language. One of such topics could be opened in Spanish part of the forum also.

Ideas, ideas … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that’s a terrific idea - we probably want to get to more of a tipping point with our Welsh Speaking Practice one first (if it’s too quiet at first, people often lose heart, so we’d want to be ready to do quite a lot to promote it) - but I think we’ll definitely get there in the not-too-distant future… :slight_smile:

Yeah no worries, I got the idea from the Welsh thread! :smile::smile::smile:

2 Likes

Might I suggest that us Manx learners all join Amikumu and talk to each other on that? I don’t believe the app existed when ya’ll were having this conversation, but it does now and the last I checked I am the only person on the planet using that app for Manx. Please join me! it’s lonely with no one else! ^/^

I joined Amikumu, but I saw the same thing.
I would love to get in touch with more Manx speakers! I didn’t see a Slack channel, so I went ahead and made one for those that are interested. Here is the link to join:
https://join.slack.com/t/gaelg/shared_invite/enQtOTQ3ODIyMzQ1NDI2LWU4YThhNDdkNTllNWFmMzViZDBlY2NjOTI3NjU5N2RiNGEzYTRiOTA2MjFjMGM0NTc2ODNlNzcwYTlhMWE3NjY

To the admins of this forum, I’d be more than happy to make you admins on the channel.
Hope to see some speakers there. So much to learn!

2 Likes