Brilliant blog piece

Sorry, @Sionned, my ap translates carousel as chwyrligwgan!

I remember sharing this article on Facebook when it was published. I stated that, in all fairness, Waterstones wouldā€™ve been the very last place I would look for Welsh language anything - let alone Scrabble yn Gymraeg! I bought my Scrabble Yn Gymraeg board a few years ago from Siop TÅ· Tawe in Swansea. Back then, Waterstones only had 1 small area with a limited selection of Welsh language books in their Swansea store. Today, their store in Cardiff has a slightly larger area dedicated to books from Wales in both Welsh and English languages, but still only a limited amount of books in the Welsh language - oh, and absolutely NO Scrabble Yn Gymraeg boards!

I now buy Welsh language books from Gwales.com if I canā€™t get to a specific book shop, or if the book I want isnā€™t available from that book shop - although most book shops are more than happy to order in what you require for you.

But yes, a very well written blog this is!

(Iā€™ve told this story before, but anyway) ā€¦ decades ago, my wife and I bought a Welsh Scrabble set, but we never used it, and it lay in a drawer. Eventually, I decided to advertise it on Freecycle (this was quite some years before I decided to try again to learn Welsh and discovered SSiW).

I got an amazing number of responses (considering that I live in Oxfordshire, not Wales). I think it was between 30 and 40. I hope whoever got it made good use of it. However, I should perhaps add that many of the people who responded said they wanted it for a friend who was learning Welsh and they were sure they would find it usefulā€¦so I do wonder how many other sets end up in drawers, unused.

3 Likes