Brilliant blog piece

Just been reading this and had to share it for those who haven’t seen it - it’s well worth a couple of minutes of your time.

What a stupid Scrabble article taught me about Welsh

(If it’s already been posted somewhere in another topic, apologies for the duplication!)

11 Likes

That needs to be seen by the folk in the Senedd trying to get more people speaking Welsh!!!

Okay, I just posted this elsewhere; I’ll take it down. Great article!

1 Like

Of course, subscribers to the DerynBach had already had this lovey snippet…:wink:

www.DerynBach.cymru :slight_smile:

1 Like

And that was the second place I saw it!

1 Like

Nice to see some balance since the original article made steam come out of my ears in great huge boiling clouds!

1 Like

Oh it’s lovely to find others as incandescent as me!

1 Like

One of the responses is simply astonishing. I quite like the idea of welsh scrabble. Might buy one for mini bootcamp!

http://m.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/book-shop-sells-out-welsh-scrabble-after-online-furore/story-29754382-detail/story.html

2 Likes

In the interests of Aran and Iestyn’s happy peaceful politics-free forum I’ll spare the place my Twitter spat with the journalist! Suffice to say there was one!

2 Likes

I bought my Scrabble Cymraeg in a toy shop in Oxford!
Still fiendishly difficult!

I have a friend who ordered a Scrabble Cymraeg several years ago; before she moved away we used to play while having lunch in a local sandwich shop.

But what I really want to know is what is the meaning of chwyrligwgan. That is the longest word on the scrabble board in the article linked above by @petermescall and, while I have a general sense of the meaning, I wonder how accurate that might be or whether it is more … idiomatic … than that.

isn’t it helter-skelter?

Roundabout/merry-go-round/carousel?

1 Like

Spinning top?

1 Like
1 Like

So something like “whirligig” (which the wikipedia article suggest’s it is from). Thanks!

1 Like

Aye, good for you!

Yn “Ti fi a Cyw” ar S4C am phlant, ‘roundabout’! (To ride on in the playground!)

Which is, I think, what we on this side of the pond usually call a “merry-go-round” - which is different from the big carnival “carousel” because it is small and is in a playground. (I broke my wrist in 5th grade on just such a merry go round.)