Bore Cothi

Hello Everyone,

Last night I did a phone interview for Bore Cothi. Nothing like making multiple mistakes on national radio to realise how far you still have to go. :frowning: The most encouraging part of the process for me was my comprehension. I pretty much understood everything the presenter was saying on air and off air. So, that’s progress. I said quite a bit about SSiW. Let’s hope they don’t edit it out. It should be on the radio next Wednesday.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to listen live due to the time difference but they will send me a link.

7 Likes

Progress?! That’s absolutely superb. In many ways a far better measure of ‘fluency’, I would suggest, than how well you express yourself. :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks Aran. All those hours listening to radio podcasts and music are paying off. I saw what you wrote about listening practice on your blog. I remember the first time I realised I was understanding Pigion. It wasn’t at the time. One night, after work, I found myself telling my husband about this musician - Catrin Herbert - who’d made a recording in Abbey Road Studios. The presenter asked her whether she’d had her photo taken on the iconic Abbey Road crossing. She said she’d been too shy/embarrassed because the road was so busy. As I was telling my husband this story, I realised I HAD understood what was being said on the Pigion podcast that day. Now when I listen to podcasts I find I understand more Immediately. If I let go of trying to translate each word, I can generally get the meaning.

3 Likes

I’ve recently had that same realization. I didn’t notice that I’d been trying to translate each word, and when I finally did notice I forced myself to stop doing it and found that I could understand so much more that way. I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but it’s getting a lot easier. Good job for recognizing the same for yourself! I think that’s a huge step forward. More like a grand leap.

1 Like

Just catching, Liz on the show right this very minute. lots of plugs for SSiW…loads. Will post soon as.
Da Iawn, Liz! Gwych!!! Really impressed as was Sîan…You spoke clearly for sixteen minutes - the average guest gets ten minutes - so she was mega impressed; :clap:

That was quick its up already. Liz joins the show at - 02:07…

2 Likes

So it was on already. I’ve heard my name but haven’t spoken yet. I’m feeling nervous all over again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No need Liz. Not sure if I’ve heard all of your contribution, but what I did sounded great.

2 Likes

Dwi jyst wedi gwrando arna ti, and ti wedi gwneud yn dda iawn. In fact, fedra’i dy ddallt di yn hawddach na Siân Cothi.

3 Likes

That was fantastic Liz!! I’m so glad you got a chance to talk with Shan, she’s a great host to talk to as a learner, I think. Everything you said was very clear and you sounded very relaxed and confident with your Welsh. Llongyfarchiadau mawr!

Gaby

4 Likes

Gwych, Liz, a very clear and interesting chat, and a fantastic advert for SSIW! Bendigedig!

2 Likes

I have just listened to your piece Liz- so impressed - gives me the motivation to keep at it as I could understand you! well done.
Teresa

3 Likes

Liz, mwynhais i dy gyfweliad yn fawr iawn!

2 Likes

Just listened to this interview. Am humbled. Chwarae teg i ti Liz.

3 Likes

Thanks Pawb! After saying I understood everything, I got the day of the program wrong. Duh! She said Ddydd Gwener. I remember it clearly. But I always mix up Gwener and Mercher because merch is a girl and Gwen is a girl’s name. Dw i’n dwp!

I haven’t heard the interview yet. I am just listening to the program now. I’m 22 minutes in. I’ve heard my name but not my voice. I don’t suppose anyone knows how to cut a segment? I’d love to put it on my blog. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, I’ve heard it. Can’t believe I told everyone I was wearing my pyjamas. :slight_smile: I knew I’d made a mistake with ymchwil. But I never will again. Nothing like a mistake to etch things into your head. I think they want to do another interview later on when I have been in Wales for a while. Hopefully, I will be speaking faster by then. :smile:

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

2 Likes

I do hope not. It was nice to be able to understand some Welsh for a change!

Nicely done.

3 Likes

Paid â becso! I doubt it will be much faster. I’m glad you understood.

1 Like

Gwych, Liz, gwych. Llongyfarchiadau gwresog iawn :star: :star2:

A diolch o waelod calon am siarad mor garedig am SSiW… :sunny: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Mae’n wir Aran. Diolch amdanat chi at SSiW am wneud y peth posib.

1 Like