Bootcamps 2016

Is there a similar set-up between LGW and Aberstwyth? ORD to BHX are definitely cheaper, however ORD to LGW is even more so…

No, LGW to Aberystwyth is a pain, almost as much as LHR!, (I know I’ve done it many times) train to London, cross central London (tube/bus), London Euston to Birmingham (strongly advise changing at B’ham International rather than B’Ham New Street!) then, finally direct train to Aber!
Try and fly to B’ham International or even Manchester or Liverpool, changing at Shrewsbury

Ok, MAN or BHX it is. Also September, because every flight for the July bootcamp that I’ve seen so far has an overnight in Dublin on the return…

@iestyn, would it be safe to book air for Sept bootcamp now…assuming I keep a close eye on this thread?

Also, is international economy travel ok?

International economy is horrible, but then I am 6’2"!
Arriving in Wales will dispel all tiredness!

1 Like

Hi cyd!

Yes, I already have interest in September, so I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble getting enough people to make it worthwhile. I would definitely recommend some kind of travel insurance that would cover your costs in the the event of it not running, though, especially as we have seen at least three cases in the last two years of people being unable to come because of incidents or accidents before bootcamp.

1 Like

Depends on the carrier - check reviews before you book. Also bear in mind that Norweigan has super cheap fares but you have to pay for luggage, etc. I usually go Delta or its affiliates when I have a choice, and there are plenty of included meals and complimentary wine and beer.

I think the difference between flying into Manchester vs. Birmingham was the directness of the train trip. In Manchester, I believe you have to transfer.

1 Like

You do have to transfer more from Manchester, but it is a lot less hassle than from London. Manchester involves a local train to Manchester Piccadilly, then changing to the train to Cardiff [no steps], but changing at Shrewsbury, which is a very easy change with luggage, again no steps and I think there still is a decent chippy opposite the station(if you like chips that is).

2 Likes

Don’t overlook the possibility of long-distance bus (= “coach” in UK-speak) as a way of getting from the international airports in England into Wales. I find it’s the fastest way from Washington, D.C. to Cardiff, for instance: daytime flight to Heathrow, stay overnight in airport hotel there (lots available through Hotwire/Priceline, all the time), then go back to airport & take a comfy coach to Cardiff from the airport’s central bus station.

Check
http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx
to see your options.

3 Likes

Indeed, ‘coaches’ are often quicker and a lot cheaper than trains. However is there such a thing as a comfy coach for those over 6’ ? I doubt it!
Also consider ‘Megabus’ http://uk.megabus.com,
It’s a pain as you have to waste a lot of time travelling into central London and back out again! It is possible to take a bus to Reading, then coach to Cardiff ( i believe there are some direct LHR to Cardiff services?) and then link to the Aberystwyth Coach (Traws Cymru www.trawscymru.info/), it just takes a little bit of planning, but ok if your flight arrives early enough (or you overnight in London), but it will take most of the day to get to Aber. Or just hire a car and drive, then it’s only 5 hours!

1 Like

In fact it’s practically in England :slight_smile: so a bit easier for us Saison to get there (well from some parts of Lloegr anyway).

if i wanted to get from Gatwick to Tresaith i would take the train.
There is a regular service from Gatwick to Reading (no need to go to London).
Reading to Carmarthen is an easy route and quicker than Aberystwyth.
From Carmarthen there are buses to Cardigan then change for Aberystwyth. (tresaith on that route).

Remember if you buy a train ticket, buy an off peak return, (this will be open to return any day in the fallowing calendar month.
Just checked, Gatwich - Carmarthen open return can be under £100:00 (journey time around 5 1/2 hours).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Wow. My head is swimming!

I’ve sorted the flight complexity by installing Kayak and Hopper and setting price alerts in the former and predictions in the latter. This was after missing out on what was probably the cheapest flight for the July bootcamp because Google Now price alerting, didn’t.

Next on list: passport stuff

1 Like

Ugh…Completely forgot to ask about airport to Tresaith times. Good thing I haven’t booked my flight yet. Which means a few additional questions:

How much time should I budget for getting from MAN to Tresaith or BHX to same?
The flights I’m watching now have me arriving Sat AM on start day and leaving Sat 1:15PM or later. Should I allow for a full day before/after the start/end of Bootcamp?

The short answer is lots! Especially as you are trying to find your way around unfamiliar places, so really leave at leave plenty of time for transfers, relax, make a day of it! a local can do a sub 5 minute transfer, you won’t!
Plus allow for the likelihood of trains and buses running late or being cancelled at the last minute, it’s very common.
I would allow at least an hour from being through customs (which I would also allow an hour for especially in the non-EU queue) to arriving at Piccadilly, which is a huge station (though this will be less at BHX, the station is much smaller).
Birmingham to Aber is usually 3.5 hours (it is slow), then you have to see how lucky you are with the bus (fortunately the bus station in Aber is outside the station, but keep turning right when you leave).
My advice allow much more time than you think, then you will be really pleased when things do work out well!

1 Like

Going by train from Manchester Airport to Aberystwyth takes about 4.15 h. You can maybe get a lift to Tresaith from another Bootcamper who travels through Aberystwyth or you take a bus.
If you arrive at MAN early in the morning it’s do-able. On the day the Bootcamp ends, you can’t be in MAN Airport at 1.15 pm.
When I go to Bootcamp , I fly on Friday to MAN, stay one night in Aberystwyth, when I leave, I stay one night in Manchester. It is less stressful.

3 Likes

Rats. I’d bookmarked a super-cheap flight on Icelandair (which has above avg legroom) but it arrives in MAN at 11:35am on Saturday of.

Back to the drawing board and huge thanks to everyone for the key travel tips!

That’s what we did with BHX. So much less stressful, and it was nice to have a day to explore Aberystwyth, too. We even got to see Y Gwyll filming!

1 Like

I’m going to ask even though I’m 99% sure I know the answer, because the Icelandair flight is still available at the same price and it can’t hurt, is 11:35am too late to arrive MAN the day of?

Depends on how you’re planning to get to Tresaith… there’s a Saturday train from Manchester at about 12.30 that’ll get you to Aberystwyth for 5.30… or you could go from Manchester down to Cardiff and probably get there by about 4ish I would have thought…

Looks (according to Google) as though you’d be stuck in Aber until almost 8, and get to the turn for Tresaith not long after 9 - sure someone’d be willing to pop up and give you a lift down to Tresaith itself.

I’m always happy to meet the bus and run people down to Tresaith, that’s not a problem. But if you haven’t been to bootcamp before it would be a shame to miss the introduction and explanation of how everything works which Iestyn gives at the beginning in English. I know he can take a latecomer aside and give them a quick private explanation, but it’s not quite the same arriving when everyone else has had that and is already into Welsh only.

Of course for people coming from overseas sometimes it’s just not possible to do it any other way and everyone manages in the end, but it’s worth adding that into your considerations if you have a choice about arrival times.

2 Likes