Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp June 2015

S’mae paub,
Dwi 'n mynd i drio i gyflwyno 'n hunan yn Gymraeg.
Dwi’n dod o Toronto, Canada. Naethon nrhieni gadael o Gymru De llawer o flynyddoeth yn ol.
Dwi 'di bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am dwy flynedd a hanner.
Dwi’n “hen gath” a felly dwi ddim yn dysgu yn gyflym iawn.
Dwi 'n edrych 'mlaen at gwrdd a chi i gid ym mis Mehefin.

p.s. I had to look up lots of these words. Somebody please correct if I’m way off base. I’m trying to get into the mindset of not worrying about perfection. I’m looking for a Welsh mantra like “Just do it!” or “Go for it!” Any ideas?
Hwyl am y tro.
Nan

1 Like

Amdani! :sunny:

Hi folks.

Thought I’d let you know I’m getting on alright with the lessons. I’m on 24, so I feel on course for Tresaith in that I’ll have covered the recommended lessons. I’ve been going to monthly SSIW meet-ups in Dorridge where I discover how slow I can be at producing my own sentences in Welsh. I could do with more practice but hey-ho, as they say, I’ll be getting plenty in Tresaith!

It would be lovely to hear from any of you who are going to this bootcamp. I’m assuming this is the best thread in which to start a conversation.

1 Like

I’d suggest trying to hook up with one or more other people for regular Skype sessions. Face to face meetups are great, and better really, but practicalities for most people mean they can’t be arranged as frequently as Skype (or G+) sessions. So, say an hour once (or even better, twice) a week, could give you a fair bit of practice between now and 20th June.

Pob lwc,
Mike

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I tried once to set up Skype on my laptop but something went wrong and I gave up. You can tell I’m not a techie and the wrong side of 40 … I’ll have another go! I guess G+ is something simlar offered by Google? I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Dweud y gwir David, the little group that I currently Skype with really gave G+ a good go, and for a while it was ok, but then they seemed to change something, and we often had problems of one sort or another. So we tried Skype and - croesu bysedd - it’s been usually ok.
Your mileage may vary, as they say. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’ve booked onto the June Bootcamp. I’ve never done anything like this before and now I am panicing big time. I have recently moved house and now have VERY limited internet access so I am having trouble logging onto the forum to find any details. I don’t have access to Skype either. Please bear with me if I don’t reply often to anything posted here. Am I allowed to give mobile numbers on here?
Looking forward to meeting you all soon…I think!!

You’d probably be better off emailing them to Iestyn - iestynap@gmail.com will get them to him, although he’s away for a day or two right now :sunny:

Hi Deborah and all others

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s nervous. It’s a challenge to do something like this, particularly for us near-beginners. If you’re like me, it’s the love of the language that’s spurring me on.

I’m aware I’m not getting nearly enough conversation, cos I haven’t had the time or energy to get set up with Skype. Is there anyone out there who’d be up for an old-fashioned phone conversation in Welsh? If you fancy a chat, Deborah, in English or Welsh, my number is 07875826361.

In my mind I’m thinking of Tresaith as “y gwyliau”, as the “bootcamp” word gives me the willies!

D

1 Like

David, Deborah, and everyone else - “Bootcamp” is indeed actually “Gwyliau”. If you would enjoy going to France though only speaking (a lot of) basic French, or going to Thailand, despte only speaking (a lot of) basic Thai, then you will enjoy coming to Tresaith whilst only speaking (a lot of) basic Welsh.

Hi,

I did Bootcamp at Tresaith in April and I was defintely at the less confident, less able end of the spectrum and I had a great time. If I can do it then you folks are going to have a wonderful experience - it really was a lovely holiday.

3 Likes

Cheers, Iestyn and Steve. I am really looking forward to it, actually, but with a small side dish of nerves.

Dere 'mlaen, you June “holidaymakers”, ydychi’n dawel iawn!

Hi folks.

I’m planning my journey to Tresaith on 20 June (a mere calendar month away!) and I’d like to ask one of you drivers for a lift, please, either from somewhere on the A487 like Tan-y-groes (a couple of miles from Tresaith) or from Aberporth (similar distance), or indeed Aberteifi/Cardigan (about 10 miles from Tresaith?), all of which have bus stops I can get off at. I’m getting the bus down from Aberystwyth, having travelled by train from Warwick.

Diolch yn fawr!

David, My brother David and I will be leaving Toronto 4 weeks from today - yikes!. We will be staying in Dolgellau for the two nights prior to bootcamp, and will be heading down to Tresaith on the Saturday. I think that means we go through Aberystwyth, so would be happy to pick you up there or anywhere along that highway. We have lots of time to work out the details. If you get a better offer, just let me know.
Hwyl, Nan

Hi David!

There is always the option f the Cardi Bach bus from Aberteifi / Cardigan which actually calls in Tresaith, The Tresaith bus stop is at the top of the steps (Sorry - that needs capitalisation, and a dramatic voice - The Steeeeeeeps) which go from the Canolfan to the pub / beach. There’s more information here: http://www.cardigan-bay.com/coach-travel-cardigan-bay-ceredigion.php but basically, the afternoon bus leaves Aberteifi at 2.35, arriving Tresaith at 3.26, and wends it’s way up the coastal roads, and through all the little villages between Aberteifi and Tresaith. To give you an idea of the scenic nature, it takes about 20 minutes from Tresaith to Aberteifi by the main road…

Thank you, Nan, for your very kind offer of a lift! Much appreciated. That would be great if the timings of our journeys coincide well. I should be arriving in Aberystwyth about 13.15 if my train’s on time, so if you were driving through early-mid afternoon that would work out.

The Cardi Bach bus from Aberteifi doesn’t seem to run in the later afternoon (I’d be there about 16.00), but thanks for the suggestion, Iestyn.

1 Like

Hi there David.
I’m so impressed with you for leaping in and doing a bootcamp, and I know from personal experience that if you can relax and go with the flow - and above all, have a sense of humour; then you will not just be fine; you will come away at the end of the week truly knackered, but talking non-stop welsh! You will honestly make a HUGE leap forward. If you still need a lift from Tan y groes to boot camp, message me, as I live 5 minutes away, and am very happy to drive you down to Tresaith. See you in June :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement and the offer of a lift, Toulouse2!

It sounds like you aren’t going to the b******p, I mean holiday, yourself, is that right?

I’m not going to be on the Bootcamp itself, but I will be cooking the meal for the first night and hanging around for a siarad gyda pawb; so giving you a lift would be no problem at all. Which reminds me - does anyone on the June bootcamp have any special dietary needs/allergies etc. It would be useful to know how many vegetarians there are etc. See you all soon :smile:

1 Like

In that case, a lift would be great, please!

I’m an ex-vegetarian who eats chicken and fish, but not lots of those. If in doubt, give me veggie, please…