Big news - exciting times - finally, finally we're moving on other languages

I have an Android phone :slight_smile:

Just getting going with the French course and so far it’s good!
I’m just a bit confused as to why I’m being taught that “je vais” means “I’m”, as it means “I go” or “I’m going” :thinking:

1 Like

…would you be willing to share your Android phone/ version details. (It works on my Android…)

Thanks

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No problem - I’ll DM the main “Rich” account just to be sure! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m coming accross lots of mistakes in the French course. I haven’t mentioned any of them so far because you said that you’re already working on them and they’ll be fixed when the new version goes up. Or should I be making a list? Not sure if you wanted feedback or not and don’t want to be a pain if you already know about all these things! I’m just happy to have something to get me speaking french out loud again while waiting for the final version :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @tatjana

Weirdly this one time I was trying to keep a low profile! :grin:…but it was found by the sleuths here anyway.

In fact we did have a little time just to check the basic operation out - so it achieved it’s aim. :slightly_smiling_face:

We will do an updated version next week - and there will be more key words on that.

See the notes above in relation to the current state of play and the fact that there are a few things fixed which are not reflected.

It is a personal call as to what you’d prefer to do! :grin:

1 Like

Hi @sophie-reardon-smith

Yes, there is a newer version which has relatively recently become accessible - from late yesterday, I think.

I think we should ask for a grace period on the course content in the very short term - barring errors or obvious issues obviously - as there is such a huge amount of work going on and a high pace of change.

Maybe make of note of anything you spot and let us know if it is still an issue when the versions have settled down? That would be be hugely valuable. :star2:

I will probably ask @Deborah-SSi for help on responses on course content. :grin:

2 Likes

That’s been raised - it’s because it’s part of the phrase “je vais bien” for “I’m okay”, but it will be changed.

5 Likes

Hello, a couple of observations:

When "easy"is introduced as a single word, the pronunciations sound much more like Italian than french. Although when it is then put together with other words the man and womans pronunciation goes to the French.

The same with ‘to say’ - the pronunciation of ‘dire’ when introduced on it’s own sounds Italian but with French pronunciation when paired with other words/longer phrases

The loop of… French / I want / to speak French/ I want to speak / I want to speak French is repeated loads compared to any other combination (not sure if this was deliberate?).

I was stuck in the loop I mentioned for a few days until I uninstalled and reinstalled for. 3rd time and I seemed to come out of the loop.

I now seem to be repeating loops from early on but now with the vous form instead of the tu form for any ‘you’ versions of the word but with simple forms from early on being reintroduced as if for the 1st time eg "to say I want we say “je veux”.

2 Likes

Hi @daiwilliams

Yes,.we are looking at a loop thing…

…could I double check whether you are subscribed and showing as subscribed in the App - I imagine that you are?

1 Like

Hi,

On My Subscribtion it say:
“You are subscribed for 0.0 GDP / Month
(Expires at 6th Sept 2025)”

1 Like

When the word “plus” (more) is introduced, both, the female and male speaker pronounce it like the English word (like in : one plus one is two) Also when the English prompt is only “more” both speakers say it like in English. When there are more words , both say it the French way.

2 Likes

OK, so that means you have a rolling subscription by virtue of a role or affiliation. Right…

Thanks

Rich

This morning the app won’t load; it hangs at the splash screen. This is on Android 14.

I have cleared the app’s cache, cleared the app’s data, and finally reinstalled it, restarting the phone at each step as well. All to no avail.

The only change that I can see was an update to Private Compute Services in the last 24 hours.

Any thoughts @rich ?

2 Likes

Came here to say this too (app not loading -iPhone user here).
Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick fix as I’m really enjoying the French course.

2 Likes

@SteakAndEggs and @thomas-jones-1 - it looks like one of our servers - looking at it.

3 Likes

I’m on Android - the app initially “worked” but with different audio patterns to the written ones on the screen. I then logged out but now can’t log back in.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s back @SteakAndEggs and @thomas-jones-1

7 Likes

I had this too, with the same solution.

I’m looking forward to cracking on with the course now that I have the new app!!

2 Likes

When ‘ago’ and ‘a while’ are introduced the French seems to be the wrong way around.

I.e. ‘ago’ is introduced as ‘un moment’ and ‘a while’ is introduced as ‘il y a’

Dai

2 Likes

When "how to say, like in: I don’t know how to say enough different words, the answer is : dire and both speakers say it right. But when the prompt is: how to say , the answer dire is always in the Italian way.

2 Likes