Beginner Needing Help

Hi,
I’m on my second week on challenge 4 and could use some help. I keep getting very confused between Mae dal rhaid I fi and Mae dal gyda fi (I hope I’ve got those right) one meaning I must / I have to and the other meaning I’ve got / I have? Is there a secret to remembering which one is which when translating as I can’t seem to get it to sink in.

I hope that makes sense. Very new to this and a bit confused.

Thank you,

Lucy

1 Like

It was very confusing for me too!

My trick is just that I remember that gyda also means with.
And I can somehow relate owning or having something to being with this thing.
While must is a totally different thing.

Probably not the best possible idea, but enough to solve the problem for me!

5 Likes

That’s really useful, thank you so much. I will try this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That particular one tripped me up for ages but I kind of ignored it and over time I worked out the difference by osmosis which was nice. Once I’d made the mistake between the two enough times and in different contexts I somehow just “got it”. I couldn’t tell you why / how it works tho! To be fair this is how I’m going through most of ssiw! There are many things which I sort of didn’t understand at first and then it just slotted into place after getting it wrong a few times.

2 Likes

Lucy, this is the gold standard approach, right here!

School will have trained you to think that if you don’t understand and control every piece of new language, you’re not doing it properly - but we have a very different approach… :slight_smile:

Don’t worry when it overloads you - that will just help challenge your brain to keep looking for patterns - the more relaxed you are about it, the less you worry about the bits that haven’t become clear yet, the easier and less stressful it will feel for you - and because of the way the course works, all the stuff that feels tough right now will, in due course, feel genuinely easy… :slight_smile:

Just keep on keeping on - you’re doing brilliantly to have done 4 challenges in just your first 2 weeks… :star: :star2:

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for this Martin. I’m finding it hard to trust the process but I will! It’s hard not to try and nail everything first time and to let go and accept that it will sink in eventually. This helps, thanks again. Lucy

1 Like

Thank you Aran. You’re right in what you say about school drumming it into you until you get it right. It’s hard to let go from that but I will try! Thanks again and for your quick responses. Lucy x

3 Likes

It took me until the infamous challenges 13-15 to realise it - so don’t feel bad! At that point I would have had to do the challenges about 1000 times to get it to sink in which I wasn’t prepared to do - so the process beat me haha.

2 Likes

I’m slightly concerned that I don’t remember this part of challenge 4. Time to revisit, maybe…

It’s the normal experience, Lucy - people who can come in and just switch over to this approach 100% from the off are very, very rare! As long as you pop in here for support whenever you feel like banging your head against a wall, you’ll do fine… :slight_smile: :star2:

2 Likes

OK, we’ve all been there. I’d say a little trick is to avoid the English word “Got”. It has a few meanings and each has a different Welsh word. Fortunately they all have different English words as well.

It it’s any comfort, I went through the entire course without fully taking in yet another “got” meaning. Although I’ve grasped it now (sort of), it didn’t slow me down at all.

So:
Rhaid = Must (do something)
Gyda = Have (as in I’ve, eg I’ve 2 dogs and a cat etc)

Finally, you will get away without ever saying “must”, or at least for the time being. As you can use want and need for now.

3 Likes

The approaches mentioned by others above are spot on, but if all else fails perhaps just think “I must raid the fridge” which may help build you a bridge between must & rhaid (and therefore ‘gyda’ isn’t ‘must’!)

7 Likes

Well, if we’re moving into the realm of bad multi-lingual puns… D’you have any pets? - Yeah, I gyda cat, a dog, and a goldfish. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I totally understand this sentiment, but SSiW does work and you will have ample opportunities for reinforcement of rhaid and gyda.

Like you, I was confused for awhile, but what finally helped me grasp the difference is similar to @siaronjames did. I’ll replace the I’ve got with must and if it makes sense, I’ll use rhaid. For example, in the sentence, I’ve got to go now, can I say, I must leave now.. Yup, I can, so Rhaid i fi fynd nawr.. In contrast, if the sentence is, I’ve got a friend can I say, I must a friend. Nope, so I need ‘gyda,’ as in, Mae gyda fi ffrind.

Great job making the progress you have so far! :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

I’m not sure why I wrote that about avoiding “got”.:smiley: Although I was a newby at the time.
Got and get are really handy for using “cael” and its forms.

Continuing the discussion from Beginner Needing Help:

Love it thanks, I’m on challenge 9 but noticed I’m still getting this wrong, that really helps…

Could you answer this?

Is the ‘you’ that’s taught in earlier lessons plural as well as singular? As only having previously learned German, the two were different!

1 Like

Same as German. I think we learnt singular familiar first here.
So-
Ti/chdi - German du (singular friend or child or dog) but you can get away with it with almost anyone these days.
Chi - German Sie (Plural, also respectful singular)

Is that correct, @Hendrik?

1 Like

As JohnYoung said, ti (also chdi in the north) is singular informal, and chi is plural but also singular formal. If memory serves, plurals don’t show up until level 2 (and then you get a lot of they, we, and plural you).

1 Like